Tuesday, January 22, 2019

18 Going on 19

Parker turns 19 in a few weeks and he is starting his 2nd semester of his first year of college. He has been house/cat-sitting for a neighbor friend for most of the first semester so we don't see him much. We are fortunate this transition to adulthood has been pretty easy and gradual for us, as parents. Since he homeschooled his entire life (except for 6th grade at public school and a few college classes during high school) it was easy for me to get used to him always being here. I definitely miss his help around the house, but I am fortunate that he chose to stay in town for now. I love that he still likes to have long talks with me and he has been rocking the adult thing.

Parker has a theatre scholarship which also requires a certain number of hours per semester working in the theatre department. He makes college look easy by getting straight As (dean's list), fulfilling his work requirements for his scholarship well ahead of time, he was also hired (paid gig) to work part-time in the scene department at his college so he is there 10-19 hours a week, most days he is rehearsing or in tech week (often for more than one production at a time), he dog/pet sits in his free time, spends time with friends (including being a DM for two weekly Dungeons and Dragons groups), goes on dates, and still makes time to home cook all his own vegan food (he hates to spend money on eating out).

The house where he is pet/house sitting has a fully stocked kitchen, but I knew soon he will be moving into his own place so I've been gradually buying some kitchen necessities. He now has his own cast iron sauté pan (he uses it at least once a day) and an instant pot. He is a pro at making staples like brown rice in the instant pot and using it in different dishes throughout the week. He even shares with us if I run out. If I make s big pot of beans, I'll drop off some for him. He shares recipes with me an I share recipes with him. It is really handy to have him in neighborhood.

I thought I would share (weekly, hopefully) recipes that are college kid friendly or weeknight family friendly.

Quick, inexpensive, healthy recipe of the week: Instant Pot Black Bean Soup from Sweet Simple Vegan

No comments: