Thursday, April 2, 2020

Aqua-guilt

This is an old post I never finished months ago, but I noticed it today as I am showering, washing my hands, washing clothes more than ever before because of the damn COVID 19. So tough to live in this new world sustainably.


I know guilt is not a productive feeling, but I can't help but indulge in it several times a day. It usually hits me when I am doing dishes (we don't have a dishwasher so this is a frequent activity), showering (especially in the shower), or even drinking a glass of water. 

It goes like this...
I lather up the dishes or myself or take a cold sip of tap water and it hits me.
I think of all the people in the world right now who don't have clean water.
I think about our future when my kids may not have the luxury of a hot shower.
I think about how people clean dishes when they don't have access to clean water or any water. 
I think about how wasteful our society is and how precious water is.
I silently apologize to the rest of the world and my kids' generation for the irresponsible behavior of my generation and generations before mine.
I picture the kids in Yemen, the homeless guy in front of my husband's downtown office, the people affected by the F3 tornado that ravaged a town (in December!) just a short drive away from where I live.
It hits me multiple times a day.
Like a brick wall of guilt.
But, guilt is paralyzing not energizing.
So I must turn this into something positive.

How?
Appreciate what I have?
Sure, I do.
Most days.
That doesn't help anyone though does it?

No comments: