Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Economy vs. Lives? - Shelter in Place Day 3 - COVID 19

Okay people, how is this whole capitalism thing working for you? We have politicians pushing the economy over people's lives! The same people against raising the minimum wage. Who is keeping things stocked on the shelves? Minimum wage workers. Who is bringing your delivery order to you? Minimum wage workers. Who is cleaning and sanitizing the hospitals? I really don't know how much they get paid, but I can guarantee it is not enough. I try to make a point when I'm in the hospital with a loved one to strike up a conversation and thank the person cleaning the room. We never got into actual number, but believe me it is not sufficient for putting their lives at risk every day.

I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir, but now is the time for us to figure out what we do want. We CAN and HAVE TO come up with something different. Capitalism as we are currently practicing it, does not serve the common good. Heck, it doesn't even serve anyone but the 1% and people lives are at stake (not just because of COVID 19). 

So that is the task of the moment. We have a little bit of time to dream up a better world. What are we going to come up with?

No comments: