Monday, January 16, 2017

White Bean Soup and Kung Pao Tofu

Parker playing Green Day's Troubled Times on the bass. 
Parker has been listening to a lot of Green Day's Revolution Radio since the election so he's been playing a lot of Troubled Times. Ironically, it makes me feel hopeful.
Dory, looking exceptionally small in the greyhound dog crate.
We had a couple days with sweet Dory this weekend. She is a frequent boarder and she looks like a little Gracie. She is a senior, but you would never know it from her energy. She slept with Parker this stay. She loves the kids.
White Bean Soup with roasted potatoes and vegan bacon with a swirl of tahini and hot sauce.
Parker and Dema's D and D group meets at our house over dinner time so we eat late on Sunday nights and I try to make something like soup that can keep warm in case the rest of us want to go ahead and eat and not wait for the boys. I had cooked some white beans in the Instant Pot earlier in the day so I decided to make a soup on the stove top. I used some veggie broth, red onion, garlic, thyme, turmeric, black pepper, oregano, white beans, kale, nutritional yeast, some roasted sweet and white potatoes, and vegan bacon cooked cut up into bite sized pieces.
White Bean Soup
Here is a better picture of Parker's bowl of White Bean Soup. The kids put a sprinkling of Daiya cheese in their soup. I kind of just threw it together, but I need to make more bean soups. I love using the Instant Pot to cook beans and it makes me rely a lot less on canned beans.
Kung Pao Tofu in the cast iron wok. 
Parker helped me prep this new to us recipe for Kung Pao Tofu and then Rob cooked it in the wok while Parker and ran to the store for brown rice vinegar and garlic for the sauce. It fed five hungry people (one who just finished three hours of gymnastics). We probably could have had one more serving for leftovers, but it was too good. I would make more sauce next time and maybe add some greens, but definitely a keeper.
Brown rice and Kung Pao Tofu with peanuts garnish.
I used the rest of the red peppers I bought on sale at the co-op and half a red/purple cabbage (that is what made everything look so purple...next time I wouldn't cook the cabbage). So good!

No comments: