Sunday, January 15, 2017

A Taste of Summer Mid-Winter

We had a thin layer of ice in our part of the world yesterday morning and Dema woke up with a headache which quickly spread to me. Rob went up to Chicago with some sailing friends to attend a boat show so the kids and I had a bit of a sleepy snuggly morning. Then, as I am apt to do, I started getting stir crazy. Too dark and slightly slippery out, no place we had to be, a bit of pain, and it adds up to me getting into cleaning mode. What will getting going late and putting myself into sorting/organizing/cleaning, lunchtime went by without me noticing. The kids had made their own breakfast of croissants and fruit spread, then they snacked on apples and nuts/dried fruit so I don't think they noticed either until we were all starving.

Josie's friend and our neighbor, Leif, came by and played outside with her at the park then they played board games inside when the cold got to them. That was just what she needed. Josie was getting as stir crazy as I was, she just doesn't turn that energy into cleaning, sadly.

Lovely red peppers were on sale at our local food co-op and were sitting on the table begging to be eaten. I cooked some whole wheat angel hair pasta and some red peppers, kale, garlic, olives, nutritional yeast, and a Tofurkey sausage (also on sale this week) in my favorite cast iron pan. Dinner in less than ten minutes and it tasted like summer. Leif enjoyed some of the pasta too. Just what we all needed.

No comments: