Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Is Raising Children to Be Vegan...

Safe, healthy, fair? So many ways I've seen that question go and I try to really contemplate and question myself anew each time I hear or read it. So far, my answer has always been "yes".

I was interviewed last year for an article that ended up being published here on One Green Planet. It made me realize how much veganism has grown over the last two decades and how the there is still a bit of reluctance to embrace veganism for children.

This is one of the reasons I started to blog again. We are a really normal American family. I try to balance what seems like endless interests for my kids (South Indian dance, aikido, gymnastics, voice, acting, piano, role playing games, Magic the Gathering, swim, climbing, etc.) with homeschooling and private school. I try to support my husband's latest obsessions (right now it is sailing) and attempt to take care of our 100 year old house and our rescued greyhound.

We have our ups and downs. Our struggles and triumphs. Sometimes we argue and often we snuggle. I'm not the perfect parent and we may not be the perfect poster family for veganism, but we're real. We do it and you can too.

2 comments:

Cadry's Kitchen said...

That's terrific, Linda. I'm so glad to see you blogging again - and your very normal and loving family. David and I don't plan on having children, but if we did, there's no question that we'd raise them vegan. A big part of parenting is imparting one's own values. We'd teach our children about acceptance for people of different faiths, ethnicities, income strata, abilities, sexuality… It only makes sense that those values would also include consideration for the world around us and compassion towards animals. It is a huge part of our lives, and it would be impossible to raise them any other way.

VeganLinda said...

Cadry, I always find it interesting when people ask (it doesn't happen often) how vegan parents can push their beliefs on their children. All parents impart their own values, as you said. It only makes sense for one of the values we hold dearest to be passed on to our children. At the same time, it is hard as a child to not judge others and unfortunately many of our veg friendly friends have moved or are moving away. We used to have three veg households (two of them vegan) within one block of our house and they are all gone now. I want them to be able to have respectful fulfilling friendships with people, even those who don't look at life the way we do. I rarely ask if things are vegan unless I can tell. My 11 year old always asks. It makes me feel uncomfortable and like we've being the pain in the butt vegans, but Dema looks at it in a different light. He doesn't mind that the answer is often no, he wants people to be aware that there are vegans wanting a vegan option an he is forever hopeful that he'll find something that wasn't clearly marked. I learned from a recent trip that my kids are old enough now for me to back off and let them figure out their own vegan path.