Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Husband's Secret - Audio Amusement

I rarely get time/take time to sit down and read anymore. It feels like a luxury and I am often interrupted. I love books so going long stretches without consuming new literature is not an option. Audio books to the rescue. It is not uncommon to walk into our house and hear three different audiobooks playing in three different rooms since the kids love audiobooks too. This makes it harder for me to listen to a book and sometimes I want to "read" an audiobook which may not be completely appropriate, but mainly I want the audiobook to follow me around while I go about my day. Playaway  to the rescue. These "all-in-one audiobooks" from my local library run on one AAA battery and you plug your own headphones in and away you go.

One of the books I listened to recently was The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty and narrated by Caroline Lee. The narrator can make or break an audiobook for me. Within the first few minutes, I knew Caroline Lee's voice fit the book well. Different chapters are from the viewpoint of different characters and I really enjoy this style of writing. The main characters are women and you get to know them from their own viewpoint and the other women around them. I never found my interest waning and as the past and present unfold, I didn't want to put the book down. I listen while I fold clothes, walk the dog, wash dishes, and these everyday tasks just flew by as The Husband's Secret continued. 
The women of varying ages were all people I could relate to, even with all their differences. They were flawed, yet likable. This book deals with the death or a child in a way I have not seen before, yet it didn't leave me feeling sad or depressed. None of the characters are completely good nor completely evil and I appreciate the truth in complex characters who do pretty awful things, but aren't monsters. I liked the surprises and how the book didn't follow the formula I was expecting. The last chapter really sold the book to me and I now want to read other works by Liane Moriarty.

No comments: