Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dema's Love Pancakes

 Dema takes pancakes very seriously. He is whisking the whole wheat flour, Ceylon cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.*
 Dema eye-balling the blackstap molasses amount. Just like his mom.
 He is a little more exact with the vanilla extract.
 Dema showing off the homemade vanilla.
 Dema throwing in a handful of shredded coconut.
 The first pancake in the cast iron pan and then on the plate. Filled with raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries.
 Dema insisted we needed an "action shot" of the maple syrup poured onto the first pancake. A word about maple syrup for a second. We have a fabtabulous friend who does a maple syrup buying co-op for a group of us every year. It is a lot of work to run and part of her family actually deals directly with the syrup farmers up north. I appreciate my kids growing up on real maple syrup and not the corn syrupy stuff my sweet parents bought when I was a kid. I think of our friend, Jennifer, each time we use some of the syrup. We buy two gallons and it lasts exactly a year even with having lots of brunches, sleepovers, and very hungry kiddos.
 Since it was Dema's turn cooking, a few pancakes had vegan dark chocolate chips and the much coveted vegan white chocolate chips. Some had a mixture of berries and chocolates (favorite of everyone) and even the chocolate ones were eaten with berries on top.
I love relaxed cloudy homeschooling mornings where breakfast turns into brunch. Dema came back into the kitchen after eating a few of his pancakes and said, "Now I want to make a special one for you, mom." Usually the kids eat all the pancakes in this double batch and I eat some leftovers or skip breakfast. Dema would have none of that today. I was happily sipping my rooibos
and he got to work on a pancaked that he said was "filled with love". It was filled with vegan chocolate chips, but I have to admit, I could taste the love as well.



*The recipe we use is based on Vegan Brunch's Perfect Pancake recipe, but changed a bit and doubled.

2 1/4 cups whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoon canola oil
2/3 cup water
2 cups non-dairy milk of your choice
1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
berries, nuts, bananas, kiwi, vegan chocolate or white chips - optional, but go ahead!

You know what to do.

5 comments:

Yogi Kitchen said...

really nice post. I wish my parents taught me to cook; let alone vegan pancakes! By the time I left for University I hardly even knew how to turn the oven on and cut an onion.. Good to see you passing the skills on. and yes, I agree, sometimes you really can taste the love in the cooking.

Ps. Interesting fact; did you know they use fenugreek in the imitation maples' to make the taste? Strange, eh?

VeganLinda said...

Keen on Food, Feugreek? Wow, I had no idea. My mom was a great cook and I would help a bit, but not enough to know how to cook when I moved out. I'm glad my kids are still interested in being in the kitchen.

VeganLinda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
abby said...

Looks yummy, and I love the fact that he seems to wearing PJs. :)

Laura said...

Looks like you have some serious cooks on your hands! Love it.