Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The New Vegan Cheeze

I saw a new vegan cheese in the buying club catalog and new I had to try it. I searched for a month to find vegan blog reviews for this cheese and really came up with nothing. I made the leap anyway because I think of it as my duty to try to vegan products. I used the radio show as an excuse, but now that we've dissolved the show I really don't have a valid reasons so I'll use you, my dear readers.
Photo from the Lisannati website
According to the nutrition info on their website, Lisanatti brand shredded vegan mozzarella is lower in saturated fat and sodium than Daiya shredded mozzarella. I was looking for a Daiya-like cheese that isn't too greasy, but as I suspected the fat is probably what helps it melt and the sodium makes it addictive. Lisanatti doesn't claim their vegan cheese melts and so far it hasn't. Lisanatti is not the go to vegan cheese to keep toppings on your pizza or keep your quesadilla from falling apart, but I like the lighter taste and the texture isn't off-putting. It has a different feel than Daiya that Josie describes as "pasta-ish".
We tried first to broil it on a bun in the toaster oven. It did stick together more, but never melted. As you can see it doesn't turn into a gooey greasy mess. That was okay. Thumbs up from the entire family for eating Lisanatti on a sandwich.
Baked hot sauce tofu (marinated in watered down hot sauce and baked), Lisanatti shredded vegan mozzarella,  Chipotle Vegenaise Gourmet*, and avocado on a whole wheat bun. I added sauted mushrooms to this sandwich after I took the picture. The sandwich was a winner and Parker requested these for "snack" all week during College for Kids.
Lisanatti isn't going to supplant Daiya in our lives. Instead it adds a different dimension all its own. I wouldn't put Daiya on top of pasta (without melting it) or a salad, but Lisanatti is great on both. It added almost a parmesan taste to our pasta last night that was really delightful. Sorry I didn't take a picture, but you know what whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce looks like and just add some Lisanatti cheeze on top.  Lisanatti is way better, in our opinion than the Galaxy mozzarella shreds which we found way to chalky tasting and couldn't even finish the bag (sadly because the Galaxy shreds actually have some calcium and no saturated fat so we really wanted to like them). Glad to have more options out there and I'll add more to this review as we get a chance to try Lisanatti on pizza.
*Chipotle Vegenaise Gourmet is also a new product for us. It is too good. Just the right amount of chipotle zing without over-powering what it is paired with. We have a family of spice lovers so the complaint is that we'll use way too much of this stuff. Rob would almost eat it right out of the jar and he is not a big mayo fan. I can't wait to try the chipotle Vegenaise in Rachel's Samosa Potato Salad.

1 comment:

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

that sandwich looks incredible! yum!