Thursday, June 14, 2012

How to Use Up the Nooch at the Bottom of the Popcorn Bowl

Tuesday night we had family movie night (sans Rob since he's out of town). Our awesome vegan neighbors have been loaning us Miyazaki films to broaden the kids' film horizons. They've loved all of them and Tuesday night was Howl's Moving Castle. I made noochy popcorn and we stayed up way too late.

Wednesday morning was full of walking dogs, feeding dog, cats, and fish, watering plants, etc. at one friends' house and medicating a cat and feeding at another friends' house. By the time all the furry/finned ones were dealt with I had time to feed the kids a quick pb and j wrap with lots of fresh fruit before I had to bike downtown with Josie for ballet.
By 11:30 things had calmed down a bit so I made brunch for my hungry brood. Blackberry whole wheat pancakes, cheesey grits (just add nooch and red pepper flakes), and my famous baked tofu. Blackberry smoothie (bananas, frozen blackberries - from a local farmer, plums - pitted, flax seeds, kale, a small beet - peeled, and some soymilk) to wash it all down. I made the grits and baked tofu because they both use nutritional yeast and I had some leftover in the bottom of the bowl from the popcorn the night before. Does that ever happen to anyone else? We always have a bunch of nooch that falls to the bottom and usually Josie eats it all with her fingers, but this time she was too tired and I didn't just want to dump it in the compost.

Brunch kept everyone full until a late dinner on the porch of baked tofu sandwiches and samosa potato salad. More riding bikes and playing at the park before taking our friends' dogs for a walk and making sure the cats were inside. I love summer!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that brunch looks so delicious! I'm craving pancakes now! haha thanks for sharing!

Cadry said...

You are a woman after my own heart! We always have nooch leftover at the bottom of the bowl, but I'd never thought about reusing it in a dish. Really, why not? I'm usually like your daughter in that I resort to eating it with my fingers, or we put the bowl down for the kitties, who are more than happy to finish off our bounty for us. :)

VeganLinda said...

Cadry, So glad to know we aren't the only ones. :-)

Stefanie said...

I'm crazy about Miyazaki movies! They have been a staple in this house hold for many years. I actually just picked up the book Howl's Moving Castle by Dianne Wynne Jones to add to the summer reading list!