Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Best Laid Plans

I woke up completely motivated to work on the dining room walls, scraping off wallpaper, fixing plaster, etc. Our house quickly became a revolving door of fun yesterday so my work kept slipping into the future. Rob took Josie in the bike trailer to Common Ground Co-op and the Market at the Square in the morning. As much as I miss going to the farmer's market as a family, it is such a sweet father daughter time for them. I enjoy hanging here with the boys. They requested a smoothie for breakfast even with the chill in the air. We didn't have any greens yet since Rob and Josie weren't back so this is what I made...
Frozen dark sweet cherries, raw almonds, frozen strawberries, hemp protein powder, cocoa powder, flax seeds, dried figs, shredded coconut, water, and soy milk. Frozen black berries on top. All organic, of course. Loaded with antioxidants (as well as vitamin C, calcium, iron, protein, good fats, etc.) and so good it feels like a decadent treat, but filling so you don't need anything else for breakfast. All full and ready to work, but wait there were dishes to do first and talking with the boys. Rob and Josie arrived home and we were hanging out on the porch and unpacking the produce from the bike trailer when Parker's friend from school arrived. They hung out and played for hours. I thought about getting the boys to help me with the dining room, but that didn't seem fair to Parker's sweet friend. Rob and I ended up trying to occupy Josie so she wouldn't ruin the Lego creations. As Parker's friend was leaving, Josie's friends Amara and Indigo showed up for their sleepover.
 Pineapple, garlicky kale, kalamata olives, capers, carrots, and Daiya with homemade sauce and homemade whole wheat crust.
 Sauteed mushrooms (from farmer Greg at the Market at the Square), garlicky kale, carrots, kalamata olives, and Daiya with homemade sauce and homemade whole wheat crust.
 Sauteed mushrooms (from farmer Greg at the Market at the Square), garlicky kale, carrots, kalamata olives, capers, pineapple, and Daiya with homemade sauce and homemade whole wheat crust.

I made sauce earlier in the day (garlic, onion, tomatoes, carrots, tomato paste, and oregano cooked and pureed...can't wait to use tomatoes from our garden, but the plants aren't close to producing yet) so Rob whipped up some whole wheat pizza dough and we had four pizzas for dinner. The kids played at the park, drew with sidewalk chalk, scootered around, took a bath, changed clothes, scootered more, etc. as Rob and I hung out with our neighbor, Anthony on the porch. As Anthony left, my ex-brother-in-law came over for a visit and the girls settled in watching movies. I love hanging a house where people feel comfortable just stopping by and hanging out, but it also means I never get anything done. I'm okay with that.
Breakfast for the sleepy kids (the girls fell asleep around 11pm and the boys even later) was whole wheat blueberry pancakes. We learned the hard way why it is important for young ones to get some sleep. There was some bickering and hurt feelings this morning. I hope some kids take naps today and maybe while Josie is napping I can tackle my dining room. Or maybe I'll take a nap too. The dining room can wait.

1 comment:

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

yum that pizza looks FABULOUS! and so does the smoothie! dar sweet cherries---delish! thanks for sharing!