Thursday, March 1, 2012

Simple, but So Good!

Busy with work (Rob), busy taking care of my own kids and friends' children (me), busy enjoying the warm weather (Josie), busy organizing the kitchen and debating the kitchen remodel or finishing the attic (me), busy trying to get back into working out at the gym (me), busy learning a programming language (Parker), busy learning fractions (Dema), etc. Meals are quick and full of kids helping or asking questions.

I've said this many times and I'll say it again, the best meals are simple.
Appetite for Reduction Braised Cabbage (green and purple from local farmer, Greg) with Vegan Diner Seitan
Black bean and brown rice burritos with tofu*, guacamole, peach mango salsa, and sauteed kale on the side (or inside - we did it both ways)


*Rob made this awesome tofu for the burritos and it was so good I asked him to share how he did it. I could not get enough and ate quite a few to make sure they were good enough for the burritos.
Rob's Browned Tofu
1 pound of tofu cubed 
1 TBSP of oil
1/3 cup of water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp of chili powder
1 tsp of poultry seasoning

Lightly brown tofu in a skillet over medium heat (7-12 minutes depending on how brown you like it)

Mix the water, salt, chili powder, and poultry seasoning and stir until well mixed.

Once the tofu has cooked to desired "brownness" pour the mixture into the skillet.  Continue to cooked on medium heat until all the liquid has cooked off.

Serve immediately.

No comments: