Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Quick Quinoa Casserole

This quick quinoa casserole was inspired by several of my favorite vegan "cheese" sauces. My version is satisfyingly savory but I won't call it cheesy. Rob and I put a bit of hot sauce on top, but the kids liked it as is. Parker isn't a huge quinoa fan, but he went back for seconds and maybe thirds. I served the casserole with thawed peaches and Pekara focaccia.


Quick Quinoa Casserole:
Veggies
Lightly steam veggies (I used frozen peas, corn, broccoli, carrots, and green beans) and reserve the liquid.


Quinoa
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed (I used sprouted because that is what I had)
Use reserve liquid from the veggies and add enough water to cook quinoa according to package directions.
Optional: add 1/2 teaspoon vegan Better than Bouillon and 1/2 teaspoon red curry paste to cooking liquid before adding the quinoa.

Sauce
1/3 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/3 raw almonds
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon mellow miso (I used white)
2 cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons tahini
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 yellow mustard
1 red bell pepper, seeded
1 small onion sauteed with a bit of water and 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste

Put all the sauce ingredients in a Vitamix or equally awesome blender and blend until smooth.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a casserole dish. Mix the prepared veggies, quinoa, and sauce together and pour in casserole dish. Add freshly ground pepper to the top and some panko or gomasio if you like. Bake for 20 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: