Sunday, February 12, 2012

Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana

We've eaten a lot of orange foods this week. Gotta love beta carotene. No pictured are the pound of dried mangoes the kids ate throughout the week, several orange smoothies with peaches and mangoes, and lots of dried apple rings.
Oh She Glows Butternut Squash Mac 'n Cheeze (with more butternut squash, carrots, peas, and quinoa shell pasta) Kale and Black Bean tamales with peach mango salsa
Rob made a ton of tamales for Parker's so we could eat them all week. Parker had to take extras to school because kids asked for them at lunch. This time when I made the pasta, I realized the recipe only used a cup of the butternut squash (did I miss that before or ignore it?) so I used maybe two cups for the sauce and the rest with the other veggies. I'll do that again. Both times I've made this dish I have used a pound of pasta instead of 8 oz. and it was plenty of sauce without doubling.
Our friend Gita had a birthday this week and her daughters were over playing before her birthday and told me she liked carrot cake. I planned to make her one, but we didn't have the vegan cream cheese on hand and we did have leftover raspberry icing from Parker's birthday cake so I made my traditional post-birthday Lower-Fat Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake from Veganomicon instead and had Gita's crew over for dinner Friday night.
Gita brought leftover carrot cake from her birthday and the kids LOVED it. We don't make carrot cake often enough.
She also brought fixings for sushi and let the kids help roll.
I made Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Apples from Appetite for Reduction, 
Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits from Appetite for Reduction and Rachel's Sauerkraut and Kielbasa Soup
mashed white potatoes with nutritional yeast, "Fried Chicken" Tofu and Gravy (from Cookin' Southern Vegetarian Style).

The Sauerkraut and Kielbasa Soup was great, but I would cut down on the Better Than Bouillon to maybe 1 tablespoon next time because the kids found it way too salty for our tastes. We used Eden Foods organic sauerkraut because we buy it by the case (use it in sandwiches on top of veggie burgers, pretty much everywhere). The Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits go awesome with this soup and is the only thing that allowed me not to substitute something orange (maybe Delicata squash) for the white potatoes in the recipe. I made seitan sausage from Vegan Diner to stand in for the store bought kielbasa and didn't think too keep the seitan sausage out during the cooking process. For those of you who don't make your own seitan, it soaks up the water so it would be better if using homemade sausage to brown it and then leave it out until the soup is almost done. I just wasn't thinking, but it was fine. Josie had a wonderful time helping me cook everything. I love having her in the kitchen.


While we were cooking, Eric (a fabulous carpenter/contractor - let me know if you want his number, he works on several houses in our 'hood) was working on restoring the wood in the dining room back to the original color (an orange-ish tint!) since the previous owners painted it all white.

1 comment:

Meat-free Mike said...

Parker should be the most popular guy at school given all the good things he takes and shares!!!