Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chickpea Olive Tofu Burgers

I finally cracked open The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet tonight. Rob was taking the boys to see a friend in a talent show at our neighborhood elementary school and I was taking Josie to meet Gita and her family to the Virginia Theater to watch The Muppets. Thus, supper was a hurried affair, but had to keep everyone satiated for several hours. I bought The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet a while ago, but noticed a lot of the recipes called for TVP and that isn't something we usually buy. I was reorganizing our cookbooks and decided to check out this one again. Of course, being me I picked out the Fire-Roasted Red Pepper Burger before realizing we didn't have any fresh or jarred red peppers. No problem! Chickpea Olive Tofu Burgers is what I ended up creating and they were so good Josie asked if she could have one for breakfast tomorrow. I can't wait to play around with more recipes in this cookbook!
Chickpea Olive Tofu Burgers
2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas with a little of the cooking liquid
3 cloves garlic minced
1/4 - 1/2 cup mixed olives
1/4 pound baked tofu (optional - I just had some around and threw it in)
2 Tablespoons tahini
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2 cup chickpea flour (just to make it patty like consistency)

If your chickpeas aren't warm from cooking them, heat them up with the garlic for about 10 to 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 F. Take the chickpea mixture and add all the remaining ingredients except the chickpea flour in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add a little chickpea flour at a time until the mixture is easy to work with. Place patties (should make about six) on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 15 - 20 minutes on each side. Enjoy with your favorite burger fixings. The kids went with lettuce, vegan mayo, mustard, sauerkraut, guacamole, and their favorite hot sauce. They are a bit crumbly so I'm going to play around with the mixture next time. Maybe it is the tofu's fault? We'll see.

1 comment:

Ricki said...

I love a good veggie burger, and this one sounds phenomenal! Adding olives is brilliant. On my "to-make" list! :)