Monday, January 16, 2012

Leisurely Lunch and Laksa

2nd Avenue Vegetable Korma and Cranberry-Cashew Biryani from Appetite for Reduction
Since Parker had the day off from school and we were all home for lunch. I decided to spend a bit of time in the kitchen making a leisurely lunch for all of us. I was in the mood for Indian today and Rob was busy working in his attic office. Rob is much more comfortable cooking Indian food than I am, but I didn't want to bother him. This meal came together almost effortlessly and the results were so satisfying that I will never be shy about cooking Indian again! Both of these recipes use minimal oil so while it was very filling it wasn't heavy, if that makes sense. I used a combination of broccoli and cauliflower and more of the zucchini our friend/neighbor Vicky gave to us. The kids really enjoyed this meal with the subtle not overpowering Indian spices. I also baked some vadas (from the freezer) for them. I biryani recipe only called for one cup of rice (precooked) and I was skeptical this amount would be enough for all five of us. We usually cook three cups of rice at a time, but it was really a perfect balance for the korma and even with everyone having seconds (or thirds in Parker's case) it was plenty of food for lunch.
I made the Curry Laksa from Appetite for Reduction for dinner to use up the rest of the coconut milk from lunch and some bell peppers from a couple days ago. We always love laksa

No comments: