Monday, January 23, 2012

C is for Curry Powder

Used a load of curry powder tonight. Curried Cabbage and Peas, Butternut Coconut Rice, and Masala Baked Tofu all from Appetite for Reduction. Dema and Josie talked me into buying two cabbages today at the co-op so I decided to make the purple one into Curried Cabbage and Peas. Josie wasn't super hip about the Butternut Coconut Rice, but Parker, Rob, and I loved it. Parker didn't eat seconds of the Curried Cabbage and Peas, but that wasn't a big surprise since he shares Rob's dislike of all things cabbage. We are working on that since purple cabbage is a inexpensive antioxidant boost.

All three kids enjoyed the tofu, but no surprise there. I served all this with a Orange and Blue and Green All Over Smoothie (one bunch kale, 4 Tablespoons ground flax seeds, one bag frozen peaches, frozen blueberries, a bit of shredded coconut, one ripe banana, and soy milk) just in case the kids didn't eat enough of their dinner. I liked each part of the meal and they all tasted good together, it was a lot of curry. I need to find a curry powder (or make my own) that we really love. The one we have is just okay. Anyone have suggestions?

5 comments:

Missy said...

I love curry and everything looks so yummy!

I have a question for you related to entertaining. I am married to an omnivore. I cook vegan at home for us and he can supplement his meals with meat if he wants, which he does frequently. I love to have people over, but for some reason since going vegan I feel like I struggle with what to serve, and how to serve it. I love the food I eat, but for some reason I don't want people to feel like they are missing out on something when I'm serving food missing the foundation of their diet. I see you entertain a lot, and I know you just serve good vegan food and let people eat and never feel the need to apologize for it.

Most of my family is pretty supportive, so that makes it easier with them, but some members of my family have preconceived notions about vegan food. And then there are our meat eating friends. I think it would be easier if my husband were on board with me, and I'm hoping over time that will happen. Maybe making sure I serve tried and true recipes will help me be more at ease. I've also thought making sure I serve substantial meals might help. I was hoping you would have some suggestions about how you are able to just relax and not stress about it when serving non vegans. I really want to be more comfortable so that I can show people how normal and delicious veganism can be, and hopefully have a positive influence on how they think about what(and who)is on their plate. Thanks for any help you can give. :)

Cadry said...

If you find a curry powder that you love, I'd be happy to hear about it. Like you, I still haven't found one that delivers an ideal flavor.

VeganLinda said...

Missy, I will leave a longer comment soon or write a post about entertaining, but it is definitely easier for us since the entire family is vegan, but I have never seen anyone walk away hungry from our house. Most people (worth having as friends) are happy to try something made with love. :-) I usually make brand new recipes when having company because I like the thrill of it, but it is a good idea to go with something tried and true if you are feeling nervous. I also try to know my audience and if I'm serving to someone who is new to vegan food, I don't skimp on fat and don't make things quite as healthy as I normally do for our family. Desserts are always a great way to get to people's hearts too. A variety of foods is helpful so your guests are bound to find something they really like. We almost always cook way too much food, but it takes the worry out. I'd rather have too much than too little when entertaining. Some people are pretty impossible, if they see the vegan label they will instantly not like it. For them, I love potlucks because you can set your dish down without anyone knowing it is vegan and hear all the compliments. When people realize you are the one who brought the dish - it's vegan - they start thinking differently about vegan food. Hang it there and don't be afraid to experiment and have faith in your food!

VeganLinda said...

Cadry, I'll let you know!

Fitness said...

Nice video, my kids love to eat butternut coconut rice because of it sweet taste. I personally like curried cabbage and peas since it provides me taste as well as fulfill my health and fitness requirements.