Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lentils, Frozen Pizza, and Mummies

I figured today would be a good day to cook from Appetite for Reduction. What with all the So Delicious products being consumed, I felt the need to balance things out.
Arabian Lentil and Rice Soup and whole wheat gobetti with Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce and veggies (broccoli, peas, carrots, and cannellini beans) with green tea with lemon in the background

The soup is a keeper. I had some lemon zest in the freezer* and jarred lemon juice. You can definitely taste the lemon in this soup, but I found it refreshing. I could even get into eating this soup in the summer because it has a fresh light taste. Red lentils are my preferred lentil, but Rob goes for French lentils for soup so I'll make his favorite this weekend. It calls for brown basmati rice and it cooks all in one soup pot, which is a plus for lunch. I was not blown away by the Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce from Appetite for Reduction. I much prefer Three-Nut Cheeze Whiz sauce from Quick-Fix Vegan. I may need fat in my sauces.
Yesterday was pizza day at Parker's school. Most pizza days we make our own or order a pizza the evening prior to send it with him the next day. This week we tried something new. Rob cooked up a Tofurky Italian Sausage frozen pizza while Parker ate breakfast. He packed the entire pizza in Parker's to-go ware. He easily ate it all for lunch (it is supposed to serve three, but Parker can eat a lot) so we'll stick to making our own for the family, but this is a great options for pizza days when we don't have time to make something the night before. The pizza is loaded with veggies which is just the way Parker likes it. There is just a dusting of vegan cheese to hold it all together (which helps when transporting to school). I've only noticed these locally at Strawberry Fields, but I've already put in an order for a case to keep in the freezer.
Parker's grade had Egyptian Museum day today. It was so much fun. Parker and his partner (who sadly went home sick so he didn't get a chance to present) created a display about mummification. Parker has already told us all about mummification at home so we visited the rest of his class and learned a great deal about King Tut, pyramids, "peaceful" Queen Hatshepsut, warfare in ancient Egypt, wigs, makeup, and jewelry for men and women of the time, Ra (the sun god), and many other fascinating aspects of ancient Egyptian life. All the kids did a great job and Dema and Josie had fun asking questions and getting attention from Parker's friends and teachers.
I had to drag Josie away from this exhibit with faces to color and pretty colored pens to color them with. Ancient Egypt has always been a favorite topic for the kids. As Parker was collecting his things to ride home with us, Josie and Dema told me some of the facts they learned. They said it was hard for them to hear everything so they suggested the projects get spread out more so the din wouldn't be quite so loud. Fun and educational event!

*I used to buy organic lemons and they would invariably get moldy before I could use them...no more! Now I zest them immediately and freeze the zest and refrigerate the juice.

No comments: