Thursday, October 27, 2011

Tahini Snob

I am married to a tahini snob, there I said it. Rob is as into organic foods as the next vegan, but when it comes to tahini he kicks my organic jars to the curb. You have never seen a grown man throw a sulk like Rob sulks if we use some sub-par tahini. People have given us jars of their favorite tahini, but none of them stand up to his brand. We are known far and wide for our awesome hummus and maybe it is due to the tahini. He buys it in the 1/2 gallon jars, which, once empty, make great containers to store bulk foods in. Rob's tahini brand of choice is Ziyad. He is serious about tahini. Except no substitutes!

6 comments:

KBH said...

I never would have thought his favorite was that brand. It is usually the brand I buy out of convenience (Schnucks carries it), but I'm always surprised at how thin it is compared to really expensive/organic tahinis. It has a subtle flavor that I like, but I'm not sure if it is my favorite.

VeganLinda said...

I know, crazy. He goes out of his way to shop at World Harvest (they have the big jars) to buy it. I think I should make some in the Vitamix. He does make awesome hummus, tahini sauce, and dressings with it so maybe he just has his proportions down. I have to admit the organic brand I buy is really too thick.

Amey said...

ha ha! I love this post. I've never seen that brand of tahini, but I love the idea of buying such a ginormous jar of it. :)

Anonymous said...

It is by far the best. After all, it's made by a Middle Eastern company. Tahini is a middle eastern staple. The consistency is how it's meant to be. Everyone else does it wrong.

VeganLinda said...

Amey, We go through it amazingly fast. It is kind of embarrassing, but we use tahini in a lot of things.

Anonymous, You've made my husband very happy. I agree the consistency is spot on.

KBH said...

I've been without this brand for 6 months now. It is far superior to anything else. I miss it.