2 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
1 large onion (peeled and diced)
2 hot peppers (sliced and de-seeded, I'm not super careful about the seeds since we like them)
4 - 6 cloves garlic (minced)
6 cups of water
1 1/2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon (look for the vegan logo, we like the organic vegetable base)
3 medium sized yellow or green squash washed and sliced
2 medium sized sweet potatoes peeled and diced
1 turnip (optional, but go ahead!) peeled and diced
2 carrots peeled and diced
1/2 cup diced sweet peppers (optional - I had some leftover from a bag I had in the freezer so I threw them in, please use what you have and definitely bell peppers taste great in this soup)
1/4 - 1/2 cup raw cashews (optional)
1/2 cup quinoa* uncooked
4 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 Tablespoons tahini
salt and pepper to taste
1. It a large soup pot, saute the onions, hot peppers, and garlic in the olive oil.
3. Cover and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the Better Than Bouillon (alternately you can use ready made vegetable stock instead of water or a mixture).
4. Simmer for one hour. (You could make this soup quicker, but it tastes better, in my opinion when it cooks longer.)
7. Add nutritional yeast, tahini, salt, and pepper.
8. Blend with an immersion blender until you read your desired consistency.
9. Top with a hot sauce (a simple Cholula or Red Rooster hot sauce works well and doesn't over-power the flavors) and za'atar. I've also used pepitas to top this soup which also adds to its autumn flare. Serve hot with bread for dipping.