Thursday, August 11, 2011

Upside-down Lentil Shepherd's Pie

No time on the computer lately. Dema (7) is working through his obsession with all things with screens (thank goodness we don't own a TV!) which means we all feel his pain and try to avoid the computer. It has been lovely. I catch up a bit on my phone from time to time, but it is nice to have a break from all the technology that "improves" our lives. I am finally feeling up to cooking with the temps a heavenly 80 degrees plus or minus.
Upside-down Lentil Shepherd's Pie from Appetite for Reduction

I bought Appetite for Reduction along with way too many other books at Borders for their going out of business sale. I'm not a huge fan of chain bookstores, but the only local bookstores we have left in town are used books (I spend way to much money there too). It is sad that Borders couldn't make it after the chains put the "mom and pop" stores out of business. Sigh. Anyway, Upside-down Lentil Shepherd's Pie caught my eye last night since I haven't soaked or cooked any beans. I served it over brown rice instead of making the Caulipots and it was very satisfying. I didn't have zucchini so I added more peas, carrots, and mushrooms (used some from the Market at the Square not shiitake, can't remember what type). This will quickly become a staple and I can't wait to try more recipes from Isa's latest masterpiece.

No comments: