Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Burritos as Big as Your Head

"Burritos as big as your head" is a slogan of a local chain and our homemade burritos make me think of this phrase. They are huge! You have to eat them with two hands. Here is Parker's pre-wrapping.
Filled with brown rice, sauteed kale, Rob's famous black beans, Amy's Black Bean and Corn salsa, and avocado, it really is a meal unto itself. The wrap is Maria and Ricardo's. This is Parker's favorite lunch right now, but I have yet to pack it for school. His first day was leftover yellow curry, which he was questioned about by his lunch-mates ("What is that?") and today Rob packed him a sandwich. A burrito will probably be his school lunch tomorrow. So far he doesn't seem to care if he's eating something different. It has never bothered him in the past, but we'll see as the school year evolves.
Speaking of food as big as one's head, here is Josie eating a dill hummus, sprouts, lettuce, and tomato sandwich on an everything bagel at Cafe Kopi. She was able to eat it all. Oh and yes, most of the coffee shops have non-dairy milk for sale as well as an option for coffee drinks. Oh how things have changed over the last 16 years.
This is how a ninja princess eats a sandwich bigger than her mouth. I think she might be part snake. Parker ate one of these bad boys and entire Thai Tempeh Panini in one sitting then ate another meal a couple hours later. Does he have a hollow leg or something?

Josie-ism for today: "Mom, I think I broke my college bone!" (I'm guessing she meant collar bone and everything is fine.)

5 comments:

Erin said...

broken college bone - love it! i should probably schedule an x-ray for mine :)

Jacqueline said...

I broke my college bone almost two decades ago now but that's okay, I've found I have no need of it. ;)

Rachel Weber said...

I've always suspected that Lance has a hollow leg too. I'm making large dinners because his lunch time is at 10:30 a.m. this year. He comes home right before 5 p.m. and wants to eat immediately. The snack at the after school program is usually junky and processed so it doesn't last long.

I've heard that kids have been curious about his lunches, and then I remember that a lot of kids have never seen kale, or a chickpea salad wrap, or waldorf salad. I think some of them say, "eww!" while others just ask a lot of questions. I'm glad he's not bothered by their comments.

Anonymous said...

That burrito looks SO GOOD! My daughter and I have been devouring guacamole and blue corn chips a lot lately. But those huge chunks of avocado look delicious.

We always do burritos as a "make your own." I put out bowls of black beans, salsa, rice, cheese, etc. and every spoons on what they want.

VeganLinda said...

Erin and JQ, you make me laugh!
Rachel, I am always amazed at how few kids eat kale. My kids beg for it. I would love for the pictures in the school lunch room to have leafy greens instead of those stupid milk mustache ads. Grrrr!
Leighann, Avocado has its own food group in our house. :-) Burrito nights are always a hit.