Monday, June 20, 2011

Simplify Saturday

We had a yard sale this weekend. The goal is to simplify, simplify, simplify. I ran a business out of our home for several years (from the time my second was a babe and he is now seven). It was a labor of love, but definitely not something that was going to make us rich. In fact, after being someone who could sell anything to anyone in my mid to late teens, I no longer had it in me. I sold only products which I felt where quality and environmentally friendly, but I still couldn't stomach it. The fun was in the meeting people and helping them find something (especially baby carriers) that worked for them, but when it came time to take the money it always made me feel slightly sick. Not good. For that reason and others, I decided to close up shop at the end of last year. This was probably the best decision I've made in a long time and now I want to continue simplifying and "de-stuffing". If I don't love it, I want it out. I don't, however, feel good about throwing anything away. We compost and recycle, much of our things can be reused so a yard sale was in order. Our friends David and Loretta are moving so they are downsizing quite a bit as well, this gave me the push I needed to get off my butt and start tagging. The entire weekend was full of selling what we no longer need, chatting, hanging out, kids playing, eating take out, drinking wine, kids sleeping over...just the kind of crazy weekend I love with the bonus of a little lighter load emotionally and physically. I need to have another yard sale in the fall, but it was good to get the simplifying wheels rolling.
Cooking was at a minimum with everything so busy, but Rob did take time to cook one of our favorite meals for lunch. Just one day of eating take-out burritos and delivery pizza was enough for me to feel the need for real food. The best part was dinner Saturday evening at Gita's house. The sale was done, we delivered most of the what was left to various charities in town, and it was time to relax and eat. Sometimes the simple meals are the most satisfying. We couldn't get enough of her whole wheat capellini with pesto and roasted veggies. It was perfect! Dema's favorite part was the roasted beets, but it was all just so good, I had seconds (and maybe thirds). The mixed greens salad was Josie's favorite, when we finally convinced her to take a break from playing with her friends. All the kids scarfed down the bread from Pekara. The evening was not too hot or humid so eating outside in Gita's awesome backyard was lovely until the mosquitoes chased us home. Life is good!

No comments: