Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cabbage Noodle Soup

Susan at Fat Free Vegan has another winner with her Cabbage Noodle Soup. I made this soup half a dozen times before summer hit and I thought I should blog about it before we creep into the 90's again. Our lovely friend, Emily, had her third baby in April and I needed to make something vegan for her family. No problem, but it also needed to be tomato, pepper, and eggplant-free. I wanted to make something they could easily reheat and filling for the new mama, but it was also a really busy time here so I needed something quick and easy. Cabbage Noodle Soup seemed like the way to go. I've mentioned before that cabbage is not one of our "go to" vegetables so I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate it into our diet, especially since Josie insists we buy cabbage any time she sees in the co-op produce section. This is a chickpea noodle soup with cabbage standing in for the noodles, but I couldn't help myself and added udon noodles as well (I upped the liquid a bit too).
The second time I made the soup, I used white beans instead of chickpeas and whole wheat orzo instead of udon, but remember it really doesn't need any noodles/pasta so great for the gluten free crowd. I threw in some kale too. This soup is a keeper and light enough to serve on cool summer nights so you don't have to wait for winter.

3 comments:

JL goes Vegan said...

This looks fantastic! I like the varied ways you made it. And everything is better with kale! :)

VeganLinda said...

JL, I couldn't agree more! I heart kale!

mobile said...

Oh my God how good it looks and i`m sure that is delicious too. I want to try this soon, thanks for the idea.