Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fried Rice and Product Reviews

While we were in Charlotte, we did cook a bit, not a lot, but some. My father-in-law doesn't have a decent pressure cooker and no rice cooker so brown rice takes a while to cook, but we can't live without brown rice. We made a staple in our house; brown rice, veggies (kale, broccoli, carrots this time), tofu with a tahini sauce on night. Later that week, I used the leftovers for a fried rice lunch. I don't do fried rice often, but it was really good. I added some frozen peas to the mixture since most of the veggies were gone and mixed the tahini sauce in at the end. Since my father-in-law was home for lunch, I added some processed foods we have never tried before. I thought this might sweeten the deal for him...he never eats with us unless Rob is home. It didn't work, he still didn't join in, but the kids loved it! The finished dish tasted a lot like Amy's Kitchen Brown Rice and Vegetables Bowl, this used to be Parker's favorite treat when he was two or three. We don't buy the bowls now, but I'll definitely try to recreate this again at home.
This was our first time buying Gardein products (I think we've had some at a vegan meet-up). Processed foods are more expensive and usually not as healthy as homemade, but this was an impulse buy at the Harris Teeter Express. I think there were four of these lightly seasoned chick'n scallopinis in the bag. I fried them a bit in olive oil and cut them in bite size slices. I think most meat-eaters would find these just as tasty as vegan do. In fact, the texture may be a little too much like chicken for some vegans.
I also fried up some Tofurky Coconut Curry Marinated Tempeh. We eat tempeh quite often, but we've never tried these pre-marinated strips before. Don't worry if you don't like spicy, these strips are not overwhelming, just the right amount of spice to add to any dish. They were quite good, but I find it pretty easy just to marinate tempeh on our own. If you want something quick or you are new to tempeh, I would definitely recommend this product. Both the tempeh and chick'n scallopinis are high in protein, tasty, and easy to make. I wouldn't use them as staples, but nice to have once in a while for a quick addition to a meal.

No comments: