Wednesday, January 19, 2011

WTbleep or Wacky Wednesday

I will hopefully do a Wee Ones post today, but I had to cover a couple things which are better suited for a "whatthebleep" (as my six year old likes to say...shakes head and sighs) or a wacky Wednesday post so here ya go.

First off is How to Date a Vegan.  Gotta love an article on how to get intimate with a vegan when you aren't one.  It has been a while since I've covered vegan sex on this blog, apparently, I am total slacker. As covered in my 2007 post linked above, vegans prefer vegans mate-wise.  So I guess How to Date a Vegan is right, we travel in packs and it is hard to separate us to take one down, so to speak.

So, let us see how my vegan mate and I size up on the bullet points:
  • membership to rock-climbing gym (okay, yes, we had memberships while we were dating and early in our married lives, but I really don't see how it relates)
  • early Björk album (check)
  • dreads or hipster haircut (no, but our three year old is seriously working on the dreads part)
  • fixed-gear bike (Rob is probably on his fixed-gear as I type)
  • Thich Nhat Hanh book (check, but come on, who doesn't have a Thich Nhat Hanh book?)
  • yoga mat (or half a dozen...we have kid yoga at our house on Fridays)
  • facial piercing or tattoo (nope, probably never gonna happen, we like to be alternative vegans and live on the fringe)
  • PETA paraphernalia (sure, but much more Vegan Outreach, VRG, FARM, etc. paraphernalia)
Viva la stereotypes.

I would add some tips of my own.
  • read Eating Animals (more on this in a future post)
  • dump the Michael Pollan-ish reasons for not going vegan (lame)
  • be up-to-date on B12 (go ahead and stock up)
  • listen to Food for Thought (a little self-promotion)
  • alcohol, lots of vegan alcohol (joking!)
  • know how to listen and converse on multiple topics (we vegans are a deep thinking lot)
  • learn how to cook vegan food (the way to a vegan's heart is through his/her stomach)
I get a kick out of veganism current popularity and that people have come up with ways to get us in bed.  We do it all for the animals!

Another article not to be missed is Human Cheese.  As I commented on FB, "Why would cheese from milk (human milk since it is the original milk consumed by humans made specifically for humans) be seen as gross and cheese from bovine milk be seen as "natural" and tasty? Strange, strange beings, we are."  Much more on this topic at a later date.

I hope I've helped you get over your humpday, enjoy!

No comments: