Friday, January 21, 2011

Super Gym Night Supper

This evening was an early gym night and temps were dropping. I knew the kids would be cold and hungry by the time we arrived home so I needed something quick and comforting. I started Chickpea Noodle Soup from Veganomicon on the stove before heading out. I prepared the soup up to the point of putting in the noodles (I used whole wheat spaghetti instead of soba this time), then put the lid on turned off the heat. On returning home, I turned the heat back on to get the soup bowling while I prepared grilled cheese sandwiches with Sprouted Wheat bread from Strawberry Fields and FYH Cheddar. We don't make grilled cheese often, but this classic comfort food from my childhood was calling out to me. When we do make them, Rob is usually the one to do the cooking, but with him gone, I ventured out on my own.
I was so glad to have worked out, even if it was BodyFlow so nothing that burned off the calories I consumed, but still, it made me feel better. I was in such a calm state, I didn't even get the least bit upset when my sandwich fell to the floor before even one bite was taken. I just made a replacement, I thought for a second about just eating the yummy soup, but the kids were enjoying theirs so much, I couldn't resist. Rob's secret grilled cheese ingredient is vegan Worcestershire sauce, but I forgot to add some. I did add fresh salsa from the co-op, avocado, sauerkraut, and za'tar. Mmmm, mmm, good!

No comments: