Monday, November 22, 2010

Slow-Simmered Collard Greens

This past Saturday was the Thanksgiving potluck for our local Vegan Meet-up group.  In the stereotypical S(tandard)A(merican)D(iet) Thanksgiving fashion, we all stuffed ourselves silly and appeared to be in food comas for a few minutes.  The food was just so good!  I wish I had pictures, but alas, I was too busy stuffing my face and helping the kids' fill their bellies (Rob was at a friend's 50th birthday party so he missed out).
 I did take a picture of the leftovers from the dish we contributed (Rob actually cooked it, but I picked it out), Slow-Simmered Collard Greens from 1,000 Vegan Recipes.  Yes, I am the one who brings the greens to the party.  I figured mashed potatoes and seitan dishes would be abundant and we all needed a little green to round out our meal.  I feel a bit like the Vegan Meet-up den mother encouraging the kids to eat their greens, but don't write this dish off too fast.  The optional and I would say "secret" ingredient in Robin's recipe is chipotle chili in adobo sauce.  I am a fan of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce and often have the remainder of a can in the refrigerator since a little goes a long way.  The little chipotle zing was what transformed a possibly obligatory eating of the greens to a "Who made the collards?!" kind of dish.  People were pleasantly surprised and asking for the special ingredient.
I baked up some tofu for Sunday breakfast and Rob and I enjoyed the last of the collards as the kids got stuck with the apple walnut steal cut oatmeal and whole wheat blueberry pancakes.  We didn't feel like sharing.

No comments: