Thursday, October 21, 2010

Legume Love

Beans are perfect any time of the year, but for some reason I just can't get enough of them when my toes and my nose feel the cool nip of fall weather.  Yes, I realize the outside temps are still quite nice and almost hot in the sun, but it is already below 60 degrees in my beloved old house and it won't get much warmer until next summer.  My bamboo socks are on my feet, I'm dressed in layers, I enjoy washing my dishes by hand again because my cold hands get warmed up, and I have blankets stashed all over the house for snuggling.  Soup weather...bean soup weather.
Spicy Pinto Bean Soup and Curried Chickpea Patties from 1,000 Vegan Recipes

Monday night we had Hummus Soup again and Tuesday night I decided on Spicy Pinto Bean Soup from 1,000 Vegan Recipes.  I've made it before, but it appears I never blogged about it.  So hear ya go.  The first time I made Spicy Pinto Bean Soup it was, well, a little soupy for my taste.  Very good, don't get me wrong, but I like my bean soups a bit thicker and not as broth-y.  Since I had the hummus soup on my mind from the night before, I thought I'd add 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked, just as the hummus soup calls for) to the pinto bean soup.  Yes, that is exactly what it needed.  Perfect.  I love to add more texture and bite while adding more nutrition.  It makes me happy.  I still had a little time before Rob was due home from work, so I threw together the Curried Chickpea Patties* (also from 1,000 Vegan Recipes) and sliced up some apples with peanut butter on the side.  I was rushing off to the gym, so I left supper for the family to eat.  Parker decided to eat another bowl or three when I cam home from the gym.  Another great soup to make all winter.

*I've posted about the Curried Chickpea Patties before and we obviously love them.  I add raw kale to them all the time now and sometimes cooked quinoa.  I usually sub half the vital wheat gluten with nutritional yeast and add a bit more curry powder.  They are great to play around with to make your own.

No comments: