Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloweegan 2010

Our very vegan Halloween (or Halloweegan...thanks, River, for the term!).  Every year, I think about throwing a Halloween party.  This year we finally did it.  I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get much together because this time of year is always so crazy, but we had plenty of food, even if it was super cute Halloween themed, and lots of fun.  They kids had a great time partying before trick-or-treating, going around the neighborhood with a bunch of their friends, and partying after.  All three of them just passed out as they hit the pillows tonight.  Next year, we'll definitely have another party.  It is the only way to get me in the Halloween spirit.
Parker carving the pumpkins our sweet and generous neighbor, Margie, gave us.

Margie also gave us this huge pumpkin, which Josie named "The Great Pumpkin".  Dema had a blast beings "swallowed".

Josie had a blast helping her brother get in and out of The Great Pumpkin.

Margie and Rick in the Halloween spirit.

Here is TGP after Margie's husband, Rick, carved the rest (Parker's hand was too tired after carving all the pumpkins to finish this one).

Spider Girl, Spiderman, and Officer Dema.

My crime fighting trio.

Magic wands (pretzels with melted dark chocolate and sprinkles).  The kids had a blast making these and ate as many as they made before the party.

Our awesome friends, Steve and Aviva, brought vegan doughnuts.  You gotta love people who bring vegan doughnuts.  I wanted to make doughnuts, but the pan I ordered didn't make it in time.  Steve to the rescue!  Of course, Loretta, outdid herself with yummy soup, bread, sweet bread, sugar cookies with icing, and vegan rice marshmallow treats.   I haven't had a homemade marshmallow treat for probably 20 years so I had a few too many.  They were really good!  I need to get her soup recipe too. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of most of the food.  Gita brought vegan pie (her signature dish, as far as my kids are concerned...Gita means pie to them).  This is a special treat since I never make pies.  I didn't get a picture, but it was so good.  Rob made French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme and Parker's Favorite Turnip and Kale Soup.  I made carmel corn and two kinds of sandwiches (Curried Chickenless Salad and No-Egg Salad both from Vegan Planet).  Rob made Sugar Cookies from The Joy of Vegan Baking.  We also made hummus and my sister, Karen, brought bread from Pekara.  Debbie brought a sweet bread too which was very good.  Our fabulous neighbors, Vicky and Greg were so helpful, as usual, providing everything we didn't think of (which happens every time...they are so prepared!) and hot apple cider (so wonderful on a cold day/night in a cold house).

The kids had a great time bobbing for apples and I had a great time watching all the kids eating apples.  It was so much fun, I might have to start liking Halloween.  I hope you all had a safe and super holiday!

No comments: