Wednesday, October 27, 2010

C is for Cookie

I don't make cookies often, but the kids like to grab a cookie from time to time (they may ask for one every time) at Common Ground Co-op.  Usually, we have them pay for things like cookies with their own allowance and many times they decide to buy a tamale or other treat instead of a cookie, but they always check them out.  Saturday before our Market at the Square/Common Ground Co-op run, Dema asked if he could take his money and buy a cookie.  I said I would bake cookies instead.  I finally got around to baking them Monday night.  I made the Chocolate Chip Cookies (with the optional chopped walnuts and I may have added a bit of shredded coconut too) from The Joy of Vegan Baking.  They are good and don't taste any different from non-vegan chocolate chip cookies (which are just as good as the quality chips you use), but I've found over the years I am becoming progressively picky about my desserts that chocolate chip cookies are not on my A list for cookies.  I know, it is blasphemy, but there, I have said it.  If you do desire chocolate chip cookies, it is a great recipe (my yield was double her one dozen cookies, but I like to make them smallish).  I used white whole wheat flour, of course, because we rarely use unbleached all-purpose flour and never have it around the house.  I will say, about a year ago, I made Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar (this recipe calls for white whole wheat flour, uses less sugar, canola oil instead of Earth Balance and yields 2 dozen...I think they make small cookies like I do) and I enjoyed them just as much or more.  Yes, they probably tasted "healthier" than the cookies I made this week, but the kids liked them just as well.
I don't think I even blogged about the macaroons I made for a neighbor's holiday party last year.  The recipe showed up in my email, on or around the day of the party.  I subscribe to VegNews, The Cancer Project and other lists which send out recipes regularly.  I can't find the recipe now, but it was decadent.  Since the holidays are just around the corner, I thought I'd try my hand at making macaroons again this year.  Both The Joy of Vegan Baking and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar have macaroon recipes which look very good.

I made Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar for a lovely vegan potluck at Kit and Emily's.  I think it must have been around the holidays last year or possibly Mardi Gras.  Anyway, I still think of them fondly.  I need to make more soon.  They are chocolaty with a hint of cayenne....my kind of cookie!  Sorry, I think I might have lost the pictures in the great hard drive demise.

Common Ground Co-op makes/sells Josie's favorite, vegan molasses cookies, and I need to find a recipe for them.

Speaking of baking, check out Jack Norris RD's blog post about trans fat.  He explains hydrogenation very well.  Rob is buying oils to make our own bar soup and his own shaving cream so we've been discussing hydrogenation and fractionated oils a lot lately.  When we make soap, we obviously don't have to worry about ingesting them.  We've avoided hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils in food we eat for a long time, but it is always good to keep up to date on fats.

No comments: