Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Vegan Table

I bought The Vegan Table a while ago, I think as a Christmas present to myself.  I love looking at it (beautiful pictures and the recipes all sound divine), but I never made anything from it...until now.  I don't know what took me sooo long!
Tofu Filet with Cornmeal Crust and Tartar Sauce from The Vegan Table

Being from the Midwest, I don't remember eating much fish as a kid.  I never acquired a taste for it (much the chagrin of my uncle in Seattle).  I do remember eating fish sticks from time to time with my mom's homemade tartar sauce.  This is comfort food.  I didn't have cornmeal so I used nutritional yeast and a bit of panko.  I also used white whole wheat flour and smoked paprika (Colleen didn't specify what type of paprika).  I made the tartar sauce from vegan mayo, relish, and capers as suggested.  When you feel like something fried, this might hit the spot.  If you want them to taste "fishy", you might add nori, kelp, or maybe Old Bay, but I'm happy without the fishy taste.  The kids liked them, especially Dema.  Thumbs up from Rob, who did eat fish quite a bit since he grew up on the coast.

Pasta and Green Beans with Peanut Sauce, Tofu Filet with Cornmeal Crust and Tartar Sauce from The Vegan Table and thawed mangoes

I had some green beans forgotten in the refrigerator from last Saturday's Market at the Square so I quickly threw together Past and Green Beans with Peanut Sauce.  I used whole wheat spaghetti.  We doubled the recipe and the sauce turned out a little lemony, but it grew on me.  I like that the peanut sauce doesn't call for oil or sweetener.  This dish is also great served cold with gomasio.  I would add more veggies next time, but we were running low this late in the week.  We buy frozen organic mangoes in bulk and the kids (no help from us) at 10 lbs. of them in less than a week.  I had a few left and thawed them out for lunch, although the kids prefer them frozen.

I look forward to trying many more recipes from The Vegan Table!

2 comments:

Marja @ StuckInYourBeard said...

Yum, that dinner looks beautiful and delicious. And, frozen mangoes! I'll have to try that.

I love the blog, I've been reading it for a while now! I'm just a bad commenter. :)

VeganLinda said...

Marja, thanks! Any fruit is a hit in my house, but in the summer they especially enjoy frozen fruit and mangoes are yum! My husband and I have enjoyed checking out your blog now. Thanks for leaving a comment.