Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Talking With the Animals

I can't believe I haven't posted about our visit to Wedrose Acres Animal Sanctuary yet.  We met up the Sunday before last with folks from the local Vegan Meetup and others from Chicago.  I was excited to hear about an animal sanctuary so close to home.  One of the many things I miss about the DC is my beloved Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary, it will always be one of my favorite places on the planet.  I was a tad disappointed when I looked at their website because they don't have many "farmed" animals.  I wanted the kids to be able to experience the animals many people eat in a peaceful loving environment.  Despite this small let down, I was still excited to take the family to talk with the animals and commune with other vegans.  I even blew off a family reunion to check out Wedrose Acres with like-minded people.

The kids had a fantastic time and asked if we could visit again.  They really enjoyed meeting the animals and getting to know them.  They also enjoyed the vegan meetup gang, as always.  We were the only ones with kids, but we met Shawn and Shawn who are raising two veg children.  We can't wait to get together with them again.  Enough about the people, you can see a few of the furry friends we made.

The camel was amazingly big (and sweet)!
The pot-bellied pigs were adorable, pigs of all kinds have always been a favorite of Parker's.  He tried in vain to get a good picture of them.  The day was hot and they retired to the coolness of the barn.
The goats really stole Dema's heart...
and also a bite or two of his shirt.
Of course, it wouldn't be a gathering of vegans without some delicious food.  We picnicked in between chats with the furry ones.  This was lovely getting to know some new friends and spend time with old ones.  The food was so good, I just sat, ate, and talked the afternoon away.
The kids didn't want to leave, but Josie passed out almost as soon as we settled hot, tired, full, and content into my dad's car.
They are planning a one day yoga retreat at Wedrose Acres next month, we'll have to go back again to talk with our new friends.


2 comments:

Dana said...

Ooh, the yoga retreat sounds amazing. I have been meaning to say hello from another (local) vegan parent raising a vegan tween. Hello. :)

VeganLinda said...

Hey Dana! Thanks for stopping by to say "hi". Love to hear from other vegan parents, especially local ones!