Monday, June 28, 2010

Perfect Pesto vs. Basil Blight

I'm sure you heard the story on basil blight on NPR recently.  Knock on compost bins, our gifted basil plants from our friend/neighbor Vicky have been growing like crazy.  Last year we had more plants, but didn't get a huge bounty of basil.  This year they look beautiful!  It might be our new raised beds, it might be the timing, it might be the amazing amount of rain, it might be Vicky's touch, but the basil is happy and healthy.  It really was so pretty the other night that it caught my eye as walked home hungry and tired from a late afternoon/evening swim.  I know most people look at basil growing in the garden and they automatically think "pesto!", but not me.  I'm more likely to think Super Quick Tomato Basil Cream Pasta which I blogged about all last summer.  It is not that I'm a pesto hater, it just tends to be a little heavy or too basil-y, a little goes a long way in my book.  One dinner of pesto a summer and I'm set.  Rob loves pesto though and I had some pine nuts left over so I decided to do pesto.  I went to my book of magic, 1000 Vegan Recipes, and Robin Robertson has a whole section devoted to pesto.  I went with Pesto Presto which was just what the family called for.  Quick, easy, and the tastes were so perfectly balanced, I was in pesto paradise.  I highly suggest using the optional white miso because it is the secret key ingredient.  I added shredded carrots to mine, left over from more of Rob's uttapams (he is really getting the hang of them and is soaking more ingredients to make dosas and uttapams in a couple days).  Parker and Dema made shredded carrot and salad green sandwiches to go along with their whole wheat past and pesto.  I will be eating Pesto Presto all summer.  Pesto Presto 1, Basil Blight 0!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I haven't heard of the basil blight, but I'm in one of the affected states. Plus I'm an avid NPR listener, so I'm not sure how I missed it. Must go check my plant...