Thursday, April 8, 2010

Going Vegan Doesn't Mean Giving Up Barbecue

Barbecued Tempeh, Kale and Sweet Potatoes both from 1,000 Vegan Recipes

I don't think I've ever barbecued anything before. I've eaten barbecued things in my pregan days (not a lot, I wasn't a big bbq fan as a kid) and vegan (at restaurants), but I don't think I've ever made barbecued sauce and done it myself. It was quite good, but the family asked that I cut the tempeh thinner next time. (There definitely will be a next time.) The kids like more sauce and are not huge on chunks of tempeh (they prefer it crumbled). The kale and sweet potatoes was simple, but amazingly good. Rob is skeptical when I mess with garlicky kale which is a big favorite for the entire family. Why mess with perfection? Well, he had to eat his words on this one. I will make Kale and Sweet Potatoes again and they went well with the tempeh. I think this meal would probably work well served to adventuresome omnis.

1000 Vegan Recipes is like a magical book for me. I can look up one or two ingredients and be transported to recipes that will be sure to please. What I love best is the recipes can be messed with (I rarely follow any recipe to the "t") and still turn out well. If you only want to buy one cookbook, this is it!

2 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

This looks AWESOME! I love a good barbecue, it is always so satisfying and you're right, perfect for sharing with omni friends and family!

Gita Carey said...

Funny, we just added diced butternut squash to our greens (or really greens to our diced butternut squash) yesterday. We hadn't done it before, but will definitely do it again. The green and orange went really well together. We'll have to try it with sweet potato too.