Sunday, April 25, 2010

Chickpea and Vegetable Curry

I've mentioned before that I tested some recipes for 1,000 Vegan Recipes. One of the recipes is now called Coconut-Peanut Chickpeas and Vegetables in the cookbook. It is similar to the Chickpea and Vegetable Curry so it might look a little familiar.
Chickpea and Vegetable Curry from 1,000 Vegan Recipes. In this picture I pretty much followed the recipe, but added cashews for garnish, omitted the white potatoes, and served over brown rice.
This time I served it over quinoa and subbed sweet potatoes for the white potatoes (I am doing this more and more with great results. Sweet potatoes are so much better for you than the white potato and I've read that white potatoes are one of the most consumed vegetable in America. As I say over and over again, a varied diet is key, in my opinion, to health so why not reach for your sweet potatoes.) I subbed blackstrap molasses for sugar and I didn't have enough chickpeas so I subbed cashews for the rest of the chickpeas. I used jarred jalapeno peppers for the canned green chilies. It was so delish, I think I'll make it this way every time.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

I'm all for subbing sweet potatoes for the white potato, if only because they taste SOOOO much better. Lately, I've taken to eating roasted sweet potatoes for breakfast. Yum!

precious said...

Perfect for a vegan like me! Thanks for sharing a very nice recipe!
bed frames

VeganLinda said...

Crystal,

You are so right! Sweet potatoes just taste better! We ordered a bunch of sweet potato plants for our garden this year. Can't wait to eat them!