Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Two Tasty Tomato Soups

I love homemade tomato soup. It brings me back to my childhood. Sure, it was canned tomato soup when I was a kid, but it was oh so comforting. I don't know why my mother, who was a very good cook, didn't make her own tomato soup, but I don't remember her doing anything besides opening the can and adding milk. Maybe it was because I loved tomato soup, but hated tomatoes. Silly childhood pickiness. Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches equaled my perfect lunch as a child.
Flash forward, adult me could live on homemade vegan tomato soup during winter (I don't even miss the grilled cheese so I've never tried to veganize it). The first picture is Tomato Orzo Soup (page 166 in 1,000 Vegan Recipes). I subbed star pasta for the orzo and probably added some tahini because I can't help myself. The end result reminded me of another childhood favorite from a can ending in o's. Really hit the comfort food button. I baked some potato slices dredged in nooch and Old Bay Seasoning to top of the lunch. The kids ate it up even though they have never eaten canned tomato soup nor canned o's.
This picture is from another Christmas cookbook, Vegan Yum Yum. Oh the eye candy in this cookbook!!! Don't let my picture fool you Vegan Yum Yum is a feast before you even start to cook. Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup is excellent. Adding chickpeas is genius and it went well with papadums and hummus. Both soups are satisfying, delicious, and nutritious. I wish I had a bowl right now.

No comments: