Sunday, February 14, 2010

Quick Pad Thai

Pad Thai from 1,000 Vegan Recipes
(for a beautiful picture of this dish, check out Cooking From 1,000 Vegan Recipes)

We love Thai food, but I rarely make it at home and I worry sometimes when eating out because of the hidden fish lurking in some Thai dishes. We usually get to know the owner of a restaurant before feeling comfortable ordering anything outside of the vegetarian section. Luckily, we have a couple Thai restaurants in town where they know us and we trust them and know the ingredients. Still, eating out is not cheap for a family of five and I love to cook. I also like to add more veggies to Thai dishes and I can do that easily at home. I jump for joy when I find already veganized Thai recipes. Pad Thai on page 236 of 1,000 Vegan Recipes was calling to me the other night.

I received 1,000 Vegan Recipes finally for Christmas and I've been thoroughly enjoying it. You will see many posts from this home run from Robin Robertson. I did some testing for some of the recipes and I knew it would become a well used book. I love being able to look in the refrigerator and see what I have on hand, look in the index, and whip up something tasty for dinner. There is something magical about this cookbook.

So, how was the Pad Thai? We couldn't stop eating it. We like our Thai food hot, but it is easy to up the spiciness and I used red curry paste in place of crushed red pepper (and doubled it, but we could have used even more heat). I used lemon juice because I was out of limes. I used cashews instead of peanuts (I never have peanuts around). Even with all these substitutions, I was very happy with this dish. I added steamed green beans and garnished with carrots. For locals, I think the taste is between Tara Thai and the Y Eatery (leaning more to the Y Eatery). Yum and quick!!!

What do you do with opened tamarind paste? I can never find a good way to store this sticky mess. Also, does anyone know where to find brown rice noodles? I thought I saw some on a blog a while back. This would make me feel better about eating Pad Thai.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I don't know if tamarind paste freezes successfully, but if so you might use an ice cube tray to freeze it in small portions.