Monday, November 16, 2009

Taco Night

Taco night? I don't do taco night.* Well, the other night I did, but don't think that makes me some Susie Homemaker or some boring stable married woman or something. I can still run from the law and keep myself stocked with clean tank tops and know how to keep my pits clean-shaven on a semi-deserted island after a plane crash. Don't even get me started about polar bears, black smoke monsters, and time travel. Where the heck was I? Oh yes, taco night. I don't think the kids have eaten tacos before. They don't remember ever eating them, but they saw the taco shells at the store the other day and asked for them. I saw no reason to say "no" so I plopped a couple packages in my cart and went into a daydream about secret identities, complicated (are there any simple ones??) love triangles with slightly scruffy looking heart throbs, and major father issues. Sigh. I was always more of a burrito gal than a taco fan growing up, but it is nice to spice things up once in a while. I made the Vegan Tempeh Sausage from Vegan Brunch, which I now use in almost everything with great success. Added shredded some FYH cheese (bought on sale), salad mix from the farmer's market, and Newman's Own peach salsa. Rob made Parker's Favorite Turnip and Kale Soup and I made Pear Apple Sauce. The verdict? Parker decided that tacos were too messy for him, Dema and Josie enjoyed them, but Rob and I stuffed ourselves silly. I mean we really could not stop eating them. I guess vegan tacos are so much better than pregan ones. Mmmm vegan tacos (said in a Homer Simpson voice).

*For Lost fans, Kate's line from Season 3 Episode 6 "I Do" right before she leaves a drugged Kevin (flashback to her marriage before the crash). For some reason this line totally cracks me up and I can't think of tacos without thinking of that scene. Not a Lost fan? What is wrong with you? Are you living in a cave? We don't even own a TV and I've seen every episode.The leftover tempeh sausage and FYH cheese was a great addition to whole wheat spaghetti and tomato sauce.

3 comments:

Meat-free Mike said...

But Linda - tacos can also be GREAT for ARTS & CRAFTS! Dema could use them to finger paint! :) Vegan tacos are a great option - I've been wanting to make them with TVP, blackbeans, & corn, but just haven't got to it. I'm more of a burito person too. The great thing about vegan "Mexican" food is that you can really get good inexpensive results at home and don't need to go to a restaurant.

Debra said...

It looks so good.
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Loretta said...

Even better than tempeh tacos:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spiced-Lentil-Tacos-351390

Obviously, no cheese and sub tofutti better than sour cream for sour cream. Definitely mix the adobo peppers and sauce with the tofutti better than sour cream--also, top with shredded coconut, tomatoes, salsa, tomatoes, avocados/guacamole, and any other toppings you like. Delicious.