Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Broccoli Soup Makes My Vegan World Go Round

My take on Broccoli Potato Soup with Fresh Herbs from Veganomicon (didn't use the fresh herbs or even dried versions except the tarragon...my palate is just not advanced enough to put mint in broccoli soup, I had some, but it didn't sound at all appetizing and added nooch and tahini, served with raw pumpkin seeds, more nooch, and hot sauce) and whole wheat Fettuccine with Red Lentil Sauce from Vegan Planet (I used whole wheat spaghetti and added kalamata olives).

It is no secret that I adore lentils. They are so easy to cook, packed with nutrients, and so versatile. Red lentils are a great way to add nutrients, including protein and iron to pasta sauce since they break down and don't keep their shape as other lentils do. Robin Robertson's recipe in Vegan Planet is a great way to dip your toe into the wild world of lentils in pasta sauce.

I was eating some leftover Broccoli Potato Soup the other day during a rare moment of solitude and reflection. It was so incredibly comforting and satisfying that I decided that Broccoli Soup makes my world go round. I love food and soups warm my heart fall through spring, but for some reason that day, this particular soup was one of the very best things I ever remember eating. It fed my body and my soul. I am thankful for Broccoli Soup. I'm dropping the potato because I doubled the recipe, but didn't double the potato (more broccoli, yum!) and the broccoli is the star. Our local farmers have reduced their price on broccoli so we've been buying as much as we can carry on our bikes. We cut it up into florets and freeze some, but that seems wasteful so I made as much of it as I could into Broccoli Soup. It truly makes my world go round.



I know, Queen again, what is with me lately? I guess growing up with a brother 8 1/2 years older than me and having a husband 9 1/2 years older ages my taste in music.



This one is more in my generation, but which one do your prefer? Tough call. Stick with the soup.

5 comments:

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

I have never noticed that soup in Veganomicon. And I must get Vegan Planet... I keep seeing so many awesome recipes from it!

btw -- I prefer Queen.

Rob said...

Queen. Not even a fair comparison in my opinion.
love,
rob

VeganLinda said...

Lisa, You should buy 1,000 Vegan Recipes from Robin Robertson. I'm sure it is awesome. I like how simple, but still wonderful her recipes are. She is also super generous sharing recipes on her blog. I have to say that I changed the soup so much that I don't know if it resembled the Veganomicon recipe, but it helps me to flip through cookbooks to decide what to make for dinner.

BTW, THANKS SO MUCH for the Thai peppers! We've been enjoying them in everything!

Rob, It was a joke, of course Queen wins. I can't help that I was born into a crappy musical decade! :-) Just watching both of them, I have to say "What were they thinking?" I mean really.

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

Queen all the way. I now have that song stuck in my head and am totally okay with that.

And now I want to make broccoli soup... but we don't have any broccoli... hm...

Loretta said...

My dad once taped over my mom's copy of Blue Danube with one of Queen's albums. That has stuck with me, and I have a certain fondness for Queen that seems to have roots in that memory and all of the great memories associated with that music from my childhood. Plus, who doesn't love Freddie Mercury?