Monday, October 5, 2009

Vegan Tempeh Sausage Three Ways


By now you have all heard that the Vegan Tempeh Sausage Pastry Puffs from Vegan Brunch rock, but if you read my blog often you'll understand I just can't leave well enough alone. Sure, puff pastry can be vegan (check the label). You can even make it yourself. Alas, puff pastry is no health food no matter how you slice it. Sure, fine for once in a while, but the tempeh sausage is so good you'll want to eat it more often. I've mentioned before it is excellent on pasta, but I wanted to try something different.
So, I decided to try it on prepared polenta. I preheated the oven to 400F, put a little oil in a casserole dish, sliced up some prepackaged polenta (I think it was sun-dried tomato flavor), spread the polenta over the bottom of the casserole dish, topped with tempeh sausage and baked until the polenta started to brown (the tempeh started to brown a little too much before the polenta so maybe it needs to cook longer, but at a lower temp?). Not the same as puff pastry, but still very yummy. The family ate them up and I'll work on perfecting the heat/timing and maybe a sauce?
From the first bite, I've thought the tempeh sausage would be excellent on pizza. Rob made some pizza dough this weekend and we tried it out. Excellent. Kale, carrots, kalamata olives, homemade sauce from the last(?) of our garden tomatoes, and tempeh sausage. Yum!

No comments: