Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Lemon Chickpea Lentil Soup

Tonight I made Lemon Chickpea Lentil Soup from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan. It is a great fall weather soup. I used more tomatoes from our garden and some leftover zucchinis. People are always giving us veggies saying they figure we'll use them since we're vegan. It is great! I love free veggies, especially from other people's gardens, but I have to get going on the zucchinis. I think I'll end up freezing quite a bit. Rob made some fantastic homemade bread this weekend and used up the rest of our 25lb of white whole wheat. He is really getting the hang of baking bread and it was perfect with this soup. With the chill in the air, I have to make homemade apple sauce. I sliced up apples and pears, threw them in my crock pot, added a little water (if you have enough pears the water isn't really needed), a little lemon juice, and a little cinnamon, and little date sugar and cooked it until it spelled done. I had some leftover puff pastry so I filled some with the apple sauce and baked at 400F for about ten minutes. They tasted like apple (sauce) turnovers.Please hop over to Vegan Dad's blog and made his Creamy Chunky Cauliflower Chowder. I don't have a picture because we ate this Monday for lunch at our homeschool group, but it was excellent (several people asked what the good smell was, but I didn't share). Rob made some of the bread dough into these big rolls (sorry no picture) which were perfect for dipping. Yes, I'm in a pureed soup rut, but I love them! I had cauliflower I needed to use up and I remember Vegan Dad's post, but I'll probably buy some this weekend just to make this soup again. It sort of reminds me of his Creamy Mac and Cheeze sauce, but in a cauliflower chowder form. Trust me, make it.

No comments: