Friday, May 29, 2009

Pre-Garden and Playing at the Park

Rob found a cord thingy that allows me to get pictures from my camera to the computer about a week ago. I have been trying to use the computer only when the kids aren't around and it hasn't been hard because we've been super busy having a lot of fun lately, but now everyone is asleep so I thought I'd get some pictures out on the ole blog.
One of the things we've been busy doing is getting the backyard ready for a real garden. We had our soil tested last year (we live in an old house and I wanted to make sure we didn't have lead paint in the soil) and had a small garden (I hate to even call it that), but much of the backyard was taken up by small trees and overgrown bushes when we moved in. We have been slowly trying to bring some of our crazy order to the mix. The flowers behind Josie are pretty, but they grow like weeds and could now swallow a small child (this is from about 2 months ago). I haven't had a chance to look up what the plant is. At first, I didn't want to mow it down or do anything to it because it is good ground cover, but as it takes over more of our yard, I'm thinking we might have to do something.

This doesn't look like much, but it is part of a tree stump/roots which took its toll on both Rob and my backs. We worked on digging it up and cutting it out for weeks!
Here is part of the wretched stump/roots which we did get unearthed. I noticed the other day in our pile of stuff to give to someone to burn or haul to the city compost that part of this stump is growing green shoots. It is still not dying after it has been out of the earth for a couple weeks now!
Here next to one of our compost bins is one of the piles of "stuff" we've cut out of the yard.

Josie inside the hole we dug out to get at the tree stump/roots. This is still several weeks ago. You can sort of tell how deep the hole is. Just the top of her head peeks out. We finally filled in this hole a week ago. We ordered the dirt over a month ago, but it has been so insanely wet here that it just got delivered right before Rob left town for the long weekend. The kids were sad to lose their hole, but happy to have more garden to grow food in.
Working in the backyard requires lots and lots of breaks to play at "our park". The three amigos. Parker, Josie, and Dema (I'm not sure what they were playing, but I think Dema is supposed to be asleep). They are in motion so much, it is hard to get a picture of all three of them together. The other day, Dema asked if I could get pregnant again because he likes playing with Parker and Josie so much it would be nice to have another.
Josie hanging out in the swings.

2 comments:

Stef said...

Those kids are ridiculously cute on that picnic table! I think maybe you should have more too, you & Rob make amazing babies!

VeganLinda said...

Aren't you sweet?! :-) I'm pretty happy with three. Rob is looking forward to grandkids. :-)