Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Obligatory Earth Day Post

Earth Day sort of bugs me on a certain level because it is sort of like Women's History Month or Black History Month, etc. If we treated women, people of color, or the Earth well all the time we wouldn't need the special days to remember them. I guess I'm a glass half full person when it comes to this, but Earth Day reminds me how terribly we treat the Earth the rest of the year. It also makes people think about recycling or changing their light bulbs, but these are really drops in the bucket. I'm not saying would shouldn't recycle or use more efficient bulbs. Of course, one of the best things you can do for the planet is eat a plant based diet and if it takes Earth Day to get you on that path, then I'm happy. I just hope we don't forget about the Earth the rest of the year.



On a optimistic note, there is a group locally which is working on a world-wide movement called Transition Champaign County. The concept is in its infancy here in our town, but I like some of what I'm seeing and hearing. It is about, as I understand it, creating now the communities we would like to see for a sustainable future. It is about acting now and not waiting for government to get on board. We already have some great groups locally and TCC will hopefully be able to use some of these existing groups and all the knowledge which is already here and build on this to create a better community. I am cautiously optimistic about the potential. For those of you not in my area, you should check and see if you have a local group or start your own.



Happy Earth Day and here's hoping we start treating the Earth in such a way that we won't need Earth Days in the future.

2 comments:

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

I definitely understand where you are coming from, but unfortunately many, many people either don't get it, or are just to selfish to care.

I cannot for the life of me understand why some people choose not to recycle. Or litter. Or just plain waste. I just don't get it.

I have approached people and have gotten either a blank stare or a diatribe. Both are equally irritating.

And... just a question... why are the people that are doing right by the Earth the ones that are looked at as odd???

Jumbleberry Jam said...

I'm with ya, sister. Transition Champaign County sounds awesome! Really cool stuff going on there. Thanks for keeping me connected :-)