Thursday, March 5, 2009

Parker's Party

We finally had Parker's official birthday party Sunday. He had a great time and a full house. Over 80 people came (this includes adults which hung out to chat). I was hoping for nice weather, but it was quite cold. Some of the kids went outside to play for all of maybe five minutes and they were back in. Parker likes to invite all his friends so we had babies to teenagers. Everyone got along really well and at one point I went upstairs to see several of the older kids sitting around reading in Dema's room and then babies and toddlers playing in the play area right outside the room. It really was quite tame for so many kids in the house.Kris made a beach cake requested by Parker. She did an amazing job as always. Parker put a Lego shark, surfboard, guy, and some vehicle from the coast guard set. I wish I had a better picture, but it was kind of crazy and I assigned my sister Karen to photo duty, but failed to charge the battery first. If anyone has a better picture of the cake, please send it to me. Kris would like to put one on her website. The sand was really cool and sand-like and yummy at the same time...how does she do it???Here is Parker after he put the finishing touches on the cake trying to explain the scene to some of his friends who probably just wanted to dig into the cake.The party was in the afternoon so we just made some like snack food. It was a crazy busy week so I wasn't as organized as I wanted to be so I didn't have all the food I'd planned on serving, but it worked out and everything usually does. Rob made a ton of black bean tamales from the Vegan Lunchbox recipe. I wish we had a picture of the tamales because he made about 70 of them. He is a tamale wizard. I made several batches of Quick Pinto-Potato Empanadas which I can't believe I've never blogged about. I think it is because I can never get a good picture of them. This picture is actually from a mardi gras party at Kit and Emily's house which I'll post about later. Anyway, the empanadas are a tester recipe from a Robin Robertson cookbook coming out this year and they are always a HUGE hit with everyone. They are super-duper easy and I've had rave reviews from omnis and veg*ns alike. We had hummus too and I realized we've almost gone through a half gallon jar of tahini in one month.The last guests left about seven and I expected the kids to crash, but all three of them were still up and going strong for hours later. I'm guessing the sugar buzz had something to do with it or maybe it was the excitement and fun of building the many new Lego sets (we said "no presents", but he received some very fun thoughtful gifts from handmade cards to seeds to art supplies to games to Legos). At the end of the night, Parker said it was one of his favorite birthdays ever. He thanks everyone for coming. He said he doesn't have any "best friend" because they are all the best.

2 comments:

the sandwich life said...

the boys were OUTRAGED at the idea of not getting him a present LOL! "but he's our FRIEND"

He is lovely guy---so glad it was a good day for him....

VeganLinda said...

It was fun for Parker to receive their present early too. It was very special. I need to let go of the present thing. I just feel bad because we really don't NEED anything, but there is a lot of fun in giving.