Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I Was Wrong

I am going to share something with you that I don't think I've mentioned before.

(Dramatic pause while you think of what interesting or horrific bit of VeganLindaology I'm going to reveal.)

If my life was a movie it would be "Please Don't Eat the Daisies".

(Looks of bewilderment and disappointment and more bewilderment.)

I know, I know. Say what you will, but there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of a line in that movie. It isn't so much the movie that fits my life as the lines. Classic. It is hard to explain and I think that is why I have not gotten into this before, but we know each other pretty well now and my life is pretty much an open book so here ya go. I am stuck, in my mind at least, in a silly 1960's film. It isn't even what I would classify as my "favorite movie". I don't think I have a favorite. It was a movie I used to love to watch pre-kids and even pre-Rob when I was home alone cleaning my place.

I even think I may have been Doris Day in a previous life...well, except for the fact that we are alive at the same time. One can't be held back by silly little facts like that.

AND...Doris Day is pretty good in the animal welfare arena (she's no James Cromwell, but she likes her cute furry animals). She seems like a very decent person, but even if she wasn't...I would still be stuck in that movie. In fact, no one can truly understand me without knowing the entire movie by heart. I will say lines to myself and chuckle because pretty much no one will have any idea of what I'm talking about.

Phew. Now that I have that off my chest I can quote Please Don't Eat the Daises to my heart's content all over the blog and still no one will know what I'm referring to unless they too have watched PDETD until they know every single scene, but I feel like you have now been warned.

(Silence as people quickly unsub from my blog and back away from the computer or as they hurriedly go to their local library/local movie store site and reserve Please Don't Eat the Daisies before they are all gone.)

I'll set the scene (if anyone is still out there or if anyone was out there to begin with...you are all very quietly lately, but it might be better for me to talk to myself on days like this so hopefully you are just enjoying the Spring weather and rejoin the blog when I'm not quite so silly):

David Niven's character has insulted Janis Paige's performance in a musical he was reviewing. He claims that she can't act. He said all she did was shake her "fanny" (gotta love 60's movies). Which is a legitimate reason for being on the stage, it depends, to be blunt on the fanny. In her case, he writes, she still has no reason to be on the stage. Janis Paige's character is not so stunned by the insult to her acting talent or lack thereof, but she is furious about the comment about her fanny. She shows up to a party with a tight skirt on and asks him if he would reconsider a "perhaps hastily formed opinion". David Niven, always the gentleman, says of course he would. Janis Paige throws her jacket over her arm and walks away from David. He checks out her fanny and shrugs and says, "I was wrong."**Well, my dear friends, I also made a hastily formed opinion about the Veganomicon Chickpea Cutlets. I didn't think they lived up to the hype. I was disappointed and blogged so. Tonight I gave them another chance. This time, I baked them and they were great. I doubled the recipe and they weren't chewy at all, but they held together well. We were outside all day enjoying the Spring windy weather (we had to drag the kids in to eat), chatting with neighbors, and enjoying each other. It was a quick meal and satisfying. I served the cutlets with Vegan Dad's Creamy Mac and Cheeze and green beans with frozen mango for dessert. The Chickpea Cutlets are good! I was wrong.

**Please no hate mail about how sexist this all is. It is a 1960 movie and I promise I don't condone judging women or men on their fannies. Although, I have to say Rob has got a pretty cute one, but I promise I married him for his mind.

4 comments:

lovelee said...

Hey Linda,
Glad you gave them another try!! My family loves this. I served these (very traditional) one night with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and veggies, and I got a "this is the best meal ever mom!". (Just don't tell them there were actual mushrooms AND onions in the gravy!) However, I'm not so sure about Vegan Dad's mac n cheese. I thought it was very bland... Now it's not about the fact that it's not real cheese. It was super creamy, just not much flavor... Maybe I'm making it wrong...

:)

VeganLinda said...

Lovelee,

I use different mustard types to spice things up a bit. Sometimes I use horseradish mustard and also hot paprika is key. I have to admit we also add some hot sauce sometimes, but the family each has their fave hot sauce so we usually add it at the table. Now I think I'll be making the chickpea cutlets all the time. I'm a convert. :-)

Susan said...

Thanks for posting this, Linda, because 1) I really enjoyed reading it and you made me smile and chuckle; and 2) I've been wanting the recipe for the chickpea patties for awhile and want to make them as soon as I'm cooking again. Thanks again :))

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

These are one of our faves! I usually make them nugget size and the kids love them.

I've never seen PDETD. Sounds like I need to check it out.