Sunday, March 22, 2009

Heavenly Jalapenos and Swimming in Gravy

Loretta came by with her lovely kids the other day to play in "our" park. It was a beautiful day and we stopped to have a snack on our porch. Loretta brought some yummy things to share and one of them was Southwestern Corn Pudding from Veganomicon. I already had my eye on another recipe with jalapenos so I had some on hand was determined to make it that night, but I didn't have corn. I thought about it all week and finally went shopping Saturday morning. I needed to make dinner Saturday evening and leave for a book discussion with some of the moms from our home schooling group so I decided it was a perfect time for a quick southwestern meal. I took the Veganomicon suggestion of pairing the "pudding" (I would say it is more like a casserole) with the Chili-Cornmeal Crusted Tofu. I added Voracious Vegan's Cheezy Jalapeno Biscuits to complete the jalapeno theme. I didn't have jarred jalapenos so I just finely sliced up one raw jalapeno for the biscuits and it worked out fine. It was all very good. I only wish I'd taken the time to saute some garlicky kale and it would have been perfect. I gave the leftovers to my sister and she enjoyed it too. Rob and I had salsa with ours which was very good because the pudding is a little sweet. I think the Southwestern Corn Pudding would make a great brunch dish paired with breakfast burritos (tofu scramble in a tortilla). I love how pretty the corn, sweet pepper, and jalapenos looked cooking in my cast iron skillet.Dema kept grabbing the food while I was taking a picture so I told him if he would leave the plate alone, I would take his picture eating the tofu. So here ya go. The tofu was still really hot so he is trying not to burn his tongue, but he couldn't keep from digging in.
I had a lot of lentil mixture leftover from the Swedish Meatballs this week so I made Urban Vegan's Carbonata for the first time, but used the lentil meatballs. It was good, but very high in fat so I won't be making it often. It was a good way to use up the leftovers, but not pretty.We don't make gravy very often, but the last couple weeks we've had it several times in different dishes. It reminded me one of our favorite Disney movies (we aren't big Disney fans past Bambi, but this one we've seen over and over), The Emperor's New Groove where Yzma says "Is there anything on this menu that is not swimming in gravy." The Colcannon Puffs we made the other day are "spinach puffs" in house because of this movie.

No comments: