Friday, January 30, 2009

Follow the Drinking Gourd

I checked out Follow the Drinking Gourd from the library for our NC trip. We didn't listen to it until we arrived home, but now we are hooked. Josie asks for the CD for naps and to fall asleep to at night. She even fell asleep without fussing with Rob Monday night while I was at a WEFT board meeting and that NEVER happens. Thanks to Morgan Freeman and this magical audio book, getting Josie to sleep is a breeze. It is overdue, but I don't care...I can't return it until we buy a copy. The story is simple and pretty short. It is about a slave family running away to freedom by following the north star. Freeman's voice combined with the music and singing is addicting to Josie. I find myself singing "follow the drinking gourd" during the day to myself...it is pretty catchy. It is quite cute because she will even ask for this CD when she tucks her dolls into bed for a nap. She is smitten. Oh yes, the boys enjoy it too.

3 comments:

Jumbleberry Jam said...

Magic, eh? Must check it out. Lots of thoughts about toddler sleep here (not Vegpantry, but JJ). We're always up for trying new things :-) Thanks for the rec!

me said...

I have that song on a great CD of music related to the civil rights movement, spanning from the underground railroad to Malcolm X and Dr. King. I got it at The Freedom Center in Cincinnati. I think it's a place you and your family would really like.

VeganLinda said...

JJ, I don't know why it works for Josie, it just does. Different things worked for each child. Parker loved Beethoven's Wig
http://www.beethovenswig.com/
Dema adored Michael Franti (who doesn't!). Check things out from the library until you find what works is my rec. :-) I will check out your thoughts on sleep. I'm awful because I'm always up late no matter when the kids fall asleep...I can't even blame them.

M, Thanks for the link. I will definitely check that out!