Thursday, October 23, 2008

Carrot Bisque or Vegan MoFo Day 19

Every once in a while you make something and you think to yourself, "How have I lived this long without eating this before?" or at least I do. The Carrot Bisque from Vegan with a Vengeance is one of those dishes for me. Really, where has this bisque been all my life? I've owned Vegan with a Vengeance since it came out, I sell it in my store, and I have never made this...for shame! It is love at first bite.
For added pleasure, this soup is very easy to make, especially if you have children. Dema peeled the carrots while Parker diced them so it came together in no time at all with a little help from my favorite kitchen gadget...my immersion blender. We made tomato sandwiches with the rest of the tomatoes our neighbors gave us and called it a meal. I will be buying and growing carrots just for this soup.

If you have kids or don't like spicy food, you might want to go easy on the curry. Rob brought home two curries a couple months ago from a local international store and said something like "this curry is really spicy and this is normal spicy", but I didn't really pay attention and I sure as heck didn't mark them so I have no idea which is which. We like spicy so it is not an issue, but I could see how some people would find this soup a little on the hot side...it may be my particular curry though. I don't think I have to sell anyone out there that carrots are good for ya, but just in case here is the nutritional analysis. Carrots have Vitamin A (duh), Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Manganese, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Potassium. When I was a kid, I would only eat raw carrots and never cooked. Thank goodness I got over that, especially since there is some evidence that eating carrots cooked helps the body absorb more the nutrients. Raw or cooked, orange, red, purple, yellow, white, or black, carrots are yummy!

3 comments:

Misc said...

I'm going to have to get that book. Black bean soup is on our menu for tonight, but the carrot bisque sounds soooo good.

I made vegan brownies yesterday and they turned out to be delicious (I wasn't expecting anything else).

VeganLinda said...

Mmmmm brownies! I need to bake this weekend. VwaV is really good. The bisque recipe is online, but it is worth getting the cookbook for the other recipes. Black bean soup sounds good. I love soup season. :-)

Art said...

I just made this soup tonight! Just enjoyed my first bowl.. oh man... yes, it is THAT good! I got to use my immersion blender, too. :) I left mine kind of chunky.. I like the texture.. but it would also be good totally smooth.