Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Soggy Soccer Night Supper

Rob played soccer tonight after work and then went out to see a friend do comedy at a downtown bar. It is still hot and humid in the house even with the rain this evening and the cool down outside...it takes my old house a day or two to get used to any new temps. Anyway, I thought about ordering pizza, but that is expensive and disappointing so I made pizza which took less time and was possibly slightly more nutritious (at least all the ingredients on the kids' pizza was organic). Here you have Vicolo cornmeal crust with leftover Muir Glen Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce, organic kalamata olives, organic avocado, and organic carrots. The other is basically a vegan "white pizza" with the same crust with Follow Your Heart Mozzarella and Italian seasoning. This is the first time I've had such luck with the vegan cheese melting. I think the key is not to shred it, but slicing it willy-nilly. The kids aren't fans of vegan processed cheese (they are fine with creamy homemade sauces, but pass on the store bought stuff...smart kids) so I drown my sorrows and bitterness of not having a husband tonight in hot processed melty goodness (it was pretty yummy, I have to say). I also made another Cherry Chocolate Nut Green Smoothie (since I've made it a couple times now it deserved a name). I swear to those of you out there who are still not sold on green smoothies that this is a smoothie that can win people over.
Cherry Chocolate Nut Green Smoothie (measurements are very approximate)
1 cup? Silk Chocolate Soymilk (you can use your fave chocolate non-dairy milk...hemp or almond would be nice)
A LOT of raw kale (I usually put enough to fill my blender to the top without packing it in because it gets pushed down by the rest of the ingredients and really reduces once it is blended)
2 Tablespoons Silk Vanilla soy yogurt (optional)
1 bag Woodstock Farms Organic Dark Sweet Cherries (any frozen or fresh sweet cherries would do)
1 cup or more walnuts (last time I used organic natural peanut butter, but this time I felt like some omega 3's)
1 cup of ice to make it nice and cold

I could drink a gallon of this stuff. Dema and Josie could not get enough and I should have taken a picture of their cute little mustaches. Parker is not a huge chocolate fan (meaning unlike his father and I, Parker can eat a little chocolate and know when to quit...we aren't sure he is really our son) so he will drink a glass, but prefers the greener fruitier smoothies...health nut. They all ate another bag of frozen cherries with their smoothies. I defy you to make this at home and not love it.
The reason I had the vegan cheese in the fridge is because of Common Ground moving locations. I went to shop on the last day CG was open at the old location and they were having a sale on all things perishable. I was silly and stocked up on from frozen and refrigerated convenience foods. Silly because we don't like to eat processed foods anyway so why buy them just because they are on sale and second because a couple things just went bad in fridge because we don't like to eat that stuff. Ah well. Live and learn. Here is a picture of some random lunch with coop sale foods. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, avocado, Tofurky Deli Slices on whole wheat tortilla and the ever popular Super Quick Tomato Basil Cream Pasta (garnished with fresh basil and a kalamata olive).

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

The smoothie looks great! Thanks for the recipe - it is always great when I have a recipe to go by. I didn't even make dinner tonight because I hear you on the hot and sticky part. I almost had to turn the air on today when I had the brainy idea to bake banana bread on this very humid day!

Loretta said...

Mmmm...that white pizza looks sooooo yummy to me! (well, both do, but I know I could get away with actually eating the white pizza!) I may make some pizza dough before we leave this morning so we can have pizza for dinner. mmmm. Did you put olive oil and garlic between the crust and cheeze? Can you tell I've been desperately missing pizza lately? Darn tomatoes.

That smoothie sounds good. We have been making LOTS of smoothies these days. Kieran just eats them up, and I love that they're so good for you. I pretty much just use frozen fruit, some green stuff (kale right now b/c that's what's in the fridge), and some juice and water to help it all blend. ) YUM! I will have to go to the store to pick up some soy yogurt and frozen cherries to try your recipe, though. I have a feeling it will be a big hit in our house!

Thanks again for posting all these yummy recipes! I love reading about all the great things you make in your house!

Misc said...

I am totally making that smoothie for an after-school snack.

VeganLinda said...

Jen, I saw the banana bread picture...looked yummy. I can't remember the last time I made banana bread. I think today might be a good day to make zucchini bread (I have two huge zucchinis, but no bananas).

Loretta, I didn't put any olive oil on it just the "cheese" because it is pretty oily itself and so is the cornmeal crust...if using a regular wheat crust I probably would put some olive oil. I was going to do garlic, but we are out.

Misc, I hope you like it!

Misc said...

Update: the smoothie is a huge hit! Both kids give it a thumbs-up as do I. Delish! Thanks.

Henny Penny said...

Hey, the IL Bureau of Tourism is putting on a blogger meet up in Springfield IL. They are offering a full day of family friendly activites and tours plus deep discounts on hotels if you need it. It's Sept 13, leave a comment at my blog or shoot me an email if you are interested in getting on the guest list.

VeganLinda said...

Misc. Awesome! Glad you all enjoyed it.

Jennifer said...

I've given you an award today! Come see at my blog.

Happy Friday :-) err... Saturday!

~rachel~ said...

Hi Linda, I've been reading your blog for a little while and love all food and recipes. We actually met (we rented a carrier from you last spring) I've just never commented.

Your daughter is gorgeous and I loved reading about her birth- great pictures too!!

~rachel~ said...

Oops just realized I commented on the wrong post, although the smoothie looks great I will have to try that!

VeganLinda said...

Rachel,

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'm enjoying checking out your blog. I love your picture...sweet!